Black Box??????

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 74cam_mojo, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

have a 74 Camaro / need to replace a breaker or ballast????not sure what it is but it may be hard to get ........its mounted on the driver side engine compartment wheel well / its got 4 spade connecters that plug into the wheel well mount / currently have it jumpered to start the car, starter is new , so is the BATT/ it has a rubber top mounted push switch on the top////// START is stamped on it . There's a number on it ....1243384 stamped underneath.....Does anyone what this is called so I can order one ( if possible ) and will the jumper I rigged drain or short out something

Mucho Thx Drive Well

2. ChillPhatCat

ChillPhatCat Veteran Member

Starter Interlock System

This is what you're dealing with, it's a 1974 only thing and it's pretty much the most annoying feature of our cars. Most people disable it except for some that want to restore their cars back to showroom condition.

I don't really know how it works though, it was disabled on my car when I bought it.

3. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds line the '74-year-only seatbelt interrupt. In 1974, the Feds came up with the idea that you couldn't start the car unless the seatbelt was fastened, in an effort to punish drivers who didn't buckle up. The backlash was so great that they dropped it the next year.

4. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

Thanks Gents

Starter Interupt / Seatbelt jive huh ..........thanks it interupted my starter real nice........I'll just leave the jumper in and continue to fly / thanks