Black Friday:

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Dave Nelson, Nov 29, 2019.

1. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

B45022F6-A223-4053-A92A-E859E7931A92.jpeg

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

We picked up a foot or so of that white stuff today so I just stayed home and enjoyed watching it fall. If it stops snowing by morning, I'll go out and move it aside. So, with the snow, today was White Saturday.

3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Forecast has changed. One daughter lives about 25 miles away. Hers has been upgraded to 24+. Question - at my new home the A/C unit (Central Air - outdoor) is not covered. Can snow damage it? When I lived in NY, I always had it covered.

4. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

I don't cover ours and it's 33 years old and still going. I would think that covering it would invite the mice to make themselves at home.

5. Gary S

I don't have central air, but I see many of my neighbors don't cover theirs either.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I've never seen an AC unit covered while living in MN or WI. Build two new homes - the HVAC contractors never even asked if I wanted one. Snow is just frozen water.

You'll be just fine...;)

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Here in North Florida my heat pump has been iced over when it went from rain to freezing. I heard a strange noise outside. Went to go look and found that icicles had formed and were curved and hitting the fan blade. I shut the unit down and let the sun come out to melt. I guess if the unit runs during your winter months I would clear the snow so it won't interfere with the fan.

8. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

I always cover mine. My concern is melting snow on top, then a cold snap freezing the water that's dripped inside the AC compressor. Don't know if it's a genuine concern or not but out of an abundance of caution I cover it.

9. Gary S

I didn't go out on Black Friday at all, but I kind of did some Black Friday shopping a week early. I wanted to get a new TV while I could still get a non-smart TV. Very few of them seem to be left on the market. I scanned all the Black Friday upcoming ads and found only two of them locally that had a non-smart TV on sale and in stock. I suspect that in another year, they won't exist anymore as it is probably cheaper for the manufacturers to make only one kind and that will be smart TVs.

My Wife and I discussed this a week ago and decided that we will not allow a smart TV inside our house as you have no privacy or security once you put one in your house. So, we got one of the last non-smart TVs in the local stores. And, I still have my couple year old non-smart TV in the box waiting if the new one craps out.

Then, today I see this article with the FBI warning people about the security risks of smart TVs. It looks like we made the right choice.
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/01/fbi-smart-tv-security/

10. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Maybe I'm missing something but it would seem to me that as long as you don't enter your wifi password, the tv can't access the internet and would be secure as a result.