Black paint below rocker Trim on 73 Type LTs

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by JT71SS, Jul 23, 2019.

1. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

On the 73 Type LTs they have the thin rocker trim molding my question is why did some have the bottom painted black below the trim and some didnt? Ive seen 2 yellow original paint 73 Type LTs one was painted black below it and one wasnt and both original paint. I Also seen 2 original paint blues ones one painted black below the trim and one didnt. I had a silver one that had the black below the trim that was original paint and a blue one that didnt both LT. Just curious why some have it and some didnt

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

That's news to me , always thought all the Type Lts were black. Mine was originally but didn't redo it that way, just don't like how it looks

3. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

I've never seen an original paint LT without the black below the trim. Maybe painted body color by the dealer? I know I've seen dealers add stripes to non factory stripe cars and i once owned an 80 z28 with a black grill (instead of body color) and the dealer painted it back.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

According to the option list on this site: http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro73.html#73-LT

1973 Type LT - Included 2 barrel 165hp V8, 7" rally wheels, variable ratio power steering, hidden wipers, blackout rocker sills and moldings,
    sport mirrors right and left, full instrumentation (U14), extra body and hood insulation, deluxe seat trim,
    bright beaded woodgrain trim on the instrument panel and doors and LT emblems on the steering wheel and exterior.

You could combine RPO Z28 with the LT.

Maybe the Z28/Type LT combination had no black rockers?

5. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

No, the LT/Z28s has black under the LT trim.

73rsltz likes this.
  6. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

As far as I’m aware any type LT at least in 73 & 74 had that rocker blackout. I know my 74 type LT z28 does & I have pics of the car from the original owner. (And that blackout looks very sharp imho)

7. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

You are TOTALLY correct. My '74 Type LTZ28 which I still have was special ordered in'74 has the black painted rocker which is same as in '73. My car has original paint and has not been altered.

8. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

Its deff Weird ive also read before they was painted black below the trim. The cars I seen That i listed above was just regular TYPE LTs. I have seen Z28 TYPE LTs with the black rocker panel both the ones I had was original paint one owner cars before I got them The silver one had the black the blue one didnt. Guess its a mystery LOL