Blackberry/Iphone advice needed

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Rick WI, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Going to be in Europe for a couple of weeks and need to stay in contact via email phone and web for work purposes. So.....figure I need to break down and get modern with either a Blackberry or IPhone.

The IPhone looks cool and would be a hoot but charges for International time could really get away from you if you used it a lot, which I suspect I will be.

Anyone have any advice on how to get my head around what to zero in to look for? I need access to my Outlook, Web, phone of course, and GPS would be SUPER cool.

2. enjoideviantly

enjoideviantly Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

dont narrow yourself down on that.. blackberrys are kind small for web surfing, so why not the better alternative to an iphone? voyager, the samsung has one too and I've heard only good things? Research whatever models like that your phone service carries. When I went overseas I used my global -able phone with AT&T and you need to go into your service and change to an international kind of plan. I didn't.. but when i called places i used a "local to my phone" calling card and dialed internationally. But texts were a 50cents extra fee i never knew about (kicked my azz thought it was free like normal!)

so go in, see what they got, research the phone on the web and get the good ugly and dirty on then :)

i like the new lg dare.. but its a phone not a multi device like you want kinda

3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I got that one on the list lara, looks like an option although doesn't have GPS, which would be very nice in Europe.

4. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

a buddy of mine has an iphone and he says as a phone its awful. he wishes he would have kept his blackberry.

i just got a sony ericsson w760i its gps, walkman(mp3)great phone and you can recieve and send emails. you will have to pay air time. not sure that would fit the bill but this is my 3rd sony phone and i have really liked them all compared to my old nokias

5. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

I'm the opposite. I want to throw my blackberry across the street and get a iphone.

6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I love my blackberry....but alas....that new Sprint Instinct will cost me $20 less
    per month and I have had this 8703e for over 2 years now. Time to upgrade.
    Every comparison the Sprint Instinct is faster, and offers more then the Iphone.
    http://www.instinctthephone.com/

I can't offer any assistance on the Europe questions though....sorry.
    The Iphone interface looks kickass though....but it's severely limited on upgrades and battery.

I have to be honest, between a new Blackberry Curve, or the Iphone 3G.....I'd probably
    have to give the Iphone a short run just to test it out. I love that flick scrolling feature.
    Can't vouch for it's phone function though.....Typing on a screen I heard is a bitc*

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  7. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wife got a BB Curve a few weeks ago and loves it. Not that that statement helps you much.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Rick

Do you want AT&T service? That's the only way if you want the IPhone.

I know where you live is somewhat rural - and AT&T service is not the best in most rural areas around the country.

If you currently use Verizon/US Cellular/Alltel - I believe all three have the Blackberry 8830 - World Edition - smart phone. This phone can has the GPS/email/web functions you are looking for AND can work on the CDMA networks here in the US that provide better coverage - especially in rural areas.

What about Europe you say???

This phone can accept a sim card that will allow it to work on the GSM network there. It is possible to get a prepaid sim card, so that you only need to buy enough service for your trip...

Hope this helps!

9. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just got a BB Pearl. Haven't even activated it yet, but when I do, its going to be my web hookup. Landline and dial up will be gondi.

10. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I appear to be within the blue service area for the AT&T 3G network, although the cutoff is about 2 miles to the north. I don't think AT&T cell service is that great though the further north you go, which is not good.

Most likely it will come down to a blackberry as service providers are spotty the further north you go.

That sprint phone looks cool Ace but I'm seeing that service up here is really spotty based on their map. No way could I text my buds from our famous northern strip joints with Sprint.

I think this weekend I'll check out the Blackberries and then look at the IPhone. I saw that Ace, where the bat life is pretty short if you use it a lot. At least it seemed pretty short.