Bleeder Valve...........Leaking

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Smokey15, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

The bleeder valve of the brake proportioning valve in my wife's '71 Z/28 leaks through the hole in the middle. . Can I put a plug in place of the cover? BTW, Using Dot 5 (silicone) fluid.

2. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Stock PV?
    If I'm not mistaken, I believed what your referring to is the Brake light warning switch.
    Why not just replace it?

3. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Picture?

4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, need photos or something so we all know that we are talking about the same thing.

Did you just replace the previous non-DOT 5 brake fluid with DOT 5? Or did you start out a wholly new system using DOT 5? I’ve read and been told numerous times that you can’t change over a system to DOT 5 without starting from scratch. I’ve no personal experience so my info may be in error. The sort of thing your experiencing is what I have read and been told can happen when a brake system is switched over.

5. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Started from scratch...........this time. I have converted several systems with zero problems.
    It is not the brake warning light switch. This is located on the 'engine' side of the proportioning valve. I did 'cure' the problem. I bought a 10-32 threaded plug, tapped the hole in it and plugged it. I had to nip 1/8" off the 'rod' that extended through it.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed Smokey. We've done a few DOT 5 too with zero problems. We just drained, flushed refilled and bled. My truck traps ~120 and no leaks, fade or boiling. Kid is 160+ mph, no problems either. Both are street driven too.

Smokey15 likes this.