Bleeding brakes help!!!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 73Camaro383, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That didnt fix anything. GRRRRR Guess not many people have this problem with lack of responses. I'll just have to figure this out on my own I guess :(

2. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Did you adjust the shoes as suggested above?

Did you put new shoes on? If replacing the drums, you probably would, or should.

Is your brake light in the dash off?

How do the brakes work (stop the car) with the low pedal? Good? Bad?

I'm a bit hazy on self adjusters, but you need to back up and stop, or at least apply the brakes. From the pic in my mind, They don't self adjust all at once; it happens gradually over time. This assumes all the parts are there and working. A frozen star wheel will make the adjustment not work.

Are your pads touching the rotor? Normally, they do.

If the above all checks out, you probably still have air in there. Sorry.

3. 73Camaro383

Thanks 71. I replaced the rear shoes and put on new drums. They went on kinda tight. Did the revese thing. Bled them again. also put a plate over the combo valve metering pin to prevent it from poping out during bleed. The only thing I can think of is the rod in between the booster and master is too short. It was way long. I grinded it down some to where it just touches when the master is bolted to the booster. Is there suposed to be a preload on the master? Does it need a little pressure on it when you bolt it up to the booster? When I first installed it it made my brakes lock up because the rod was too long and built up pressure in my system. Had to crack a line to relase the brakes. I have bled these bastards till i am blue in the face!!!! Never had problems like this with brakes..

4. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

This happened with my nova. Bled the brakes over and over with no result. Try backing up fairly quick and stomping the brake pedal it they're self adjusters. This usually does the trick to get them where they need to be. Then bleed again if necessary.

You're probly aware of this already but just in case you need to bleed the brakes in order from the wheel farthest away from the MC to the closest.

5. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

I'm a new believer in "gravity" bleeding. When I built my truck and did the brakes I replaced every component in the system. Rather then having the wife help pump the brakes, or using my vacuum bleeder alone...I decided to open 'em up one circuit at a time and let 'em drip. After they quit bubbling, close them off some but leave to where they are still flowing for a few seconds to verify no more bubbles, and then tighten 'em up. Wound up with a nice firm peddle.....and with the vacuum reserve tank for the booster....brakes that will flat throw your thru the window!

6. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

You may have a power vs manual mismatch on parts as rod length is different between the two

7. 73Camaro383

Im had to use my original power booster rod because the new booster didnt come with one. They forgot to put them in the box.