Blower motor running anytime key is turned

jimf81

Aug 23, 2022
I dont think this is how its supposed ot be, but anytime key is turned you can hear the blower motor turn on very low. When you turn hvac controls on it goes higher. But if I leave at low it stays same. Any ideas on what could be the issue here?

jimf81

Aug 23, 2022
yeah its a 78 as well, ok makes me feel better its normal, I dont know how it was before my dad stripped interior and sat for 7 years. have interior all back together almost now. Mine is a type LT as well in Carmine red, still need to get repainted and finish repairing a few pieces of rust.

Oldskool62

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
Mine is a 78 as well. I think the reason they run constantly is to keep the resistor cool.
I often wondered if you can do a mod to get rid of that resistor and replace it with something that didn't need cooling ; as I'm going down the A/C delete path and it would be good to not have it in the cover.

Last edited:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
To test that theory...
Unplug the resistor pack while the key is on and the fan is running at low speed.

I suspect the fan will turn off.

aviator2007

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2020
Denver
My '79 is on low once the key is on. My research left me believing this is normal and part of the fresh air ventilation as mentioned earlier.

Latest posts