Blue Print 396 small block

procharged81

Veteran Member
Nov 16, 2011
NE PA
Everything being the same, for the extra $300 for the 396 vs the 383, it's a no brainer on paper, Upgrade to forged pistons and crank....I don't know how they can do it....oh ya, mass production.

They will use a new 4.00 block, so it's a 389 cube in fact, and with those 6.00 rods, your into a 1.062 CH piston with oil support rails. Journal overlap, crank quality and balance style comes into play.

If you go with a new block anyway, I love the 4.125/55 bore and 3.750 stroke with 6.00 rod combo. Many "off the shelf options", good unshrouding of the chambers, no oil support rails and nice rod ratios. JME
My exact combo with 4.125. Went overboard with the Brodix block, but should handle anything I ever throw at it. Plus, it’s pretty much reparable if I ever chuck a rod.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm very early into the investigation. Hard to go away from the LS engines. I actually sleeved and stroked a LS2 to 427 cubes. LS3 heads and mild cam. 500 RWHP. Ran great and easy to tune.
I would build it locally but there isn't really a good performance machine shop around here.
Thanks again the replies.

Fan SS

Feb 13, 2022
Amarillo TX
Your on the right track, "There's no substitute for cubic inches". You can score a number of 454 cid. small block crate engines. Sounds like fun coming from a big block fan with a 505 inch rat.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Your on the right track, "There's no substitute for cubic inches". You can score a number of 454 cid. small block crate engines. Sounds like fun coming from a big block fan with a 505 inch rat.
There is to a point, my 358SBC is almost as quick as the BBC 461 Peanut port headed engine last year. It's about the combo. Case in point, guy with a 69 Camaro tubbed 496 BBC ran about the same ET as my little SBC did on Sunday. Both were in the 11.30's.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Your on the right track, "There's no substitute for cubic inches".

There is, to a point, it's gearing and rpm....but there's limitations to that as well.

I've been in some well built street cars that had very impressive engines (on paper) , but did not perform as they should have....some just did not accelerate at all......just a bad combo of parts.

Been on the dyno many times with some engines that just were duds....great parts, well built, but nothing was working together and had a small power band.

Some engine combo's just get it done and punch way above their weight, or what the "build sheet" would indicate.

If seen some SBC strokers apart after a few seasons on the street, let's say some of them did not age well at all.

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A friend has a low buck 406, OE block .030 and crank, 350 rods don't recall pistons but definitely a pump gas engine that runs real strong. Oh it also has an approx. .500" lift hydraulic cam and a vac. sec. Holley carb. I dont know why more folks don't just build the econo style 406 for a street cruiser and enjoy the cubes ?

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
Good luck finding a solid GM 400 2-bolt block at this point. They have been out of production for 40 years and weren't that common to start with

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Okay, I guess I'm still living back in the '80's, Lol. Just checked local online market and could only find one 400 block, freshly bored .030 @ $500. There are 400 mopar blocks a plenty !! Yuk