Blueprint Engines and Stock A/C Bracket

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
I am looking at getting a Blueprint Engines small block crate assembly. I want to run my stock 1972 A/C. Does anyone know if the A/C brackets will work with their aluminum heads? I called them and they would not commit to it working (they simply did not know). I am 99% sure that all of the other front brackets should be fine but feel free to advise on that as well.

Thanks.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Are you talking about the bracket that goes over the valve covers? Should be okay, I don't "think" they ship with tall valve covers. IIRC, all of their heads use gen 1 style intakes, so the bolt holes should align.

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
Are you talking about the bracket that goes over the valve covers? Should be okay, I don't "think" they ship with tall valve covers. IIRC, all of their heads use gen 1 style intakes, so the bolt holes should align.
I got the car without an engine and just the components. I thought that the AC bracket mounted to the front of the head? I don't know because my last Camaro, 1971, had no AC...

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
Looking at my 1971 factory assembly instruction manual (should be the same for 1972). It looks like the front bracket, Item 5, P/N 3932432, mounts to the head. I wonder if the BPE heads support this?
IMG_9348.JPG

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
OP Silver GT1
suggest you cinch up your britches and consider a Chevy/GM crate. By far, Best Warranty in the biz. No short cuts on internals. Every nut & bolt etc is NEW.

IF a BPE motor truly goes sideways (and it happens) and your relationship w/ BPE does likewise (and that does too) ... If you're NOT a resident of Nebraska, you'll need lotsa kleenex as well as a six-pack of dental dams. Told ya! READ the BPE warranty, then take it to your attorney & ask about the BPE warranty enforcement problem.

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
OP Silver GT1
suggest you cinch up your britches and consider a Chevy/GM crate. By far, Best Warranty in the biz. No short cuts on internals. Every nut & bolt etc is NEW.

IF a BPE motor truly goes sideways (and it happens) and your relationship w/ BPE does likewise (and that does too) ... If you're NOT a resident of Nebraska, you'll need lotsa kleenex as well as a six-pack of dental dams. Told ya! READ the BPE warranty, then take it to your attorney & ask about the BPE warranty enforcement problem.
That is excellent advice. I don't know what happened to GM pricing. I swear I do not remember them being that expensive. Certainly more competitive. But $2k more for a similar engine is hard to take. $2k can go a long way toward other items that need doing on this project.

BTW, you have a great way writing. Brought a chuckle out of me.

wdstamper

Veteran Member
May 17, 2014
Florida
I have a blue print motor (couldnt be happier with it) in my 1981 z28 with aluminum heads but I used classic auto air‘s upgraded ac compressor. Its been a while but I believe most everything bolted up fine. Had to do a little modifying of the bracket that bolts around header. I hope this helps.

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
I have a blue print motor (couldnt be happier with it) in my 1981 z28 with aluminum heads but I used classic auto air‘s upgraded ac compressor. Its been a while but I believe most everything bolted up fine. Had to do a little modifying of the bracket that bolts around header. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure how similar the 1981 and early 2nd gen A/C bracketry are. Are Classic Air and Original Air the same? I am doing this stage 3 kit from Original Air. I was looking at Vintage Air but their lead time right now is 16 weeks and they are $500 more. Original Air LT right now is 2-4 weeks. I figured since I already have everything out right now, why not just redo what I already have. Get it faster and save a few bucks.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Much of what happened to increase GM pricing is Trump admin's dumping the old NAFTA in favor of its USMCA replacement. Subsequently, most GM crate engine production was returned to USA at Springfield MO; where it cost more to employ US Citizens to produce Made In USA motors. FWIW, I prefer USMCA.

wdstamper

Veteran Member
May 17, 2014
Florida
Not sure if classic auto air and original air are related. Here‘s a kit that looks a lot like the one I used. It’s on rick’s camaros website and in stock but made by classic auto air. It may also be listed on classic auto air‘s website as well.

Attachments

• 71AE8A94-54A3-472E-BA93-10B79F78A00F.png
    71AE8A94-54A3-472E-BA93-10B79F78A00F.png
    740.8 KB · Views: 19