Blueprint Engines Factory Tour

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Chevyforever, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Stumbled across this video, had no idea the scope of their operation.

Coadster32 and muscl car like this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Lots of people were very skeptical of Blueprint years ago...I think their tenure is showing that they are probably a good choice for an engine.

76z28 likes this.
  3. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

With increasing scarcity of good cores, today's typical bore over size for typical REMAN sbc ranges 40 over to 60 over.
    FWIW, most late sbc are right on the limit of minimum cylinder wall thickness when at 40 over. Most piston manufacturers do Not offer a late-specific piston larger than 40 over. Frankly, for a keeper, I have little interest in motors that can never be bored again; or Worse ... are already bored out too far and walls are too thin. Too-thin walls makes for poor, uneven heat transfer and poor ring sealing.

OTOH, many EFI late motors often exhibit remarkably little cylinder wear and don't require 30 over or even 20 over. I have found One company (NPR America) that offers Shelf-Stock 10 over (+0.010") pistons and rings for rpo L31, L30 & many others.

Wish there were vids of SRC ops at Springfield MO. https://www.srcholdings.com/

4. badazz81z28

Reputable builders sonic check the blocks to ensure proper cylinder wall thickness. I think is part of the definition of "seasoned cores"? I don't understand your rational though...Say you have a 1970 Camaro and buy a blue print engine that is a 350 with .040 overbore. How long will this engine last? How many miles are you going to put on it? I think in most cases...you won't drive the car enough to require a rebuild and even if you do we are talking decades down the road where its going to be cheaper to buy a new engine than have one rebuilt anyways. I don't see how the overbore can be even a concern...worst case scenario you can always sleeve a block.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've heard of bad reviews from them regarding engine failures . Also when I was shopping around for big inch sbc stroker I was very unimpressed with the customer service dept . The person I talked to at Blueprint couldn't even give me correct info on the build I wanted

This is the reason I went with Shafiroff racing engines . The staff at Shafiroff are much more knowledgeable and work with their customers . If i buy another engine it'll be from Shafiroff not Blueprint

Blueprint mfg's and casts their own cyl heads and cylinder blocks

6. sandlapper

JMO
    IIRC, dunno but perhaps LS motors easier-cheaper to sleeve than sbc; not certain.
    If your money/car/time; do as ya wish. For my sbc $, I suggest go w/ a New sbc block/crate. Folks' outlook ranges from 'til tomorrow to decades.
    In regard to sonic check; who knows what the larger REMAN companies' internal policies & ethics are? So long as it outlasts any warranty. Long-Distance Warranties are typically near impossible to enforce. If company in NE with No physical footprint elsewhere, and buyer located on coast; if issue cannot be resolved to customers' satisfaction, buyer is forced to file suit in a NE Court. That's not likely to result in an acceptable outcome for buyers a 1000 miles & several jurisdictions distant.
    Regardless how long someone expects to keep a motor, thin walls never perform as well as they should.
    Sleeving all 8 in BBC/sbc is cost prohibitive; all 8 usually reserved for rare blocks. JMO, YMMV

Zstar and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  7. sandlapper

True BP does cast Some of the blocks and/or heads they use; most BP crates employ heavily-worn GM production blocks/heads which are REMANufactured ... often outside limits of what is often considered "blueprinted."

easily fact-checked; look at any one motor's page and drill down into specs. It states how far oversize it is OR if it's New.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. sandlapper

FWIW
    in 2020 (in concert with our President replacing NAFTA with MCA), GM moved all crate machining & assembly ops from Mexico to a GM partner located at Springfield MO USA.

Zstar and tom3 like this.
  9. badazz81z28

I think with the mass production, a small percentage of engines will have their problems. I think that’s the nature of the game even OEM deals with. But when it comes to the bigger names that build high dollar engines at a lower scale, they can put more love into the build. Get what you pay for. I guess you can’t complain about the warranty period BP gives you.

10. badazz81z28

It does come down to buyer preference for sure. To replace a stock engine in my Camaro or pickup truck, a BP 350 wouldn’t be an issue for me. I did buy a 350 from yearone and it was .030, ran great and didn’t have any issues. I even put it down the strip a few times. Any defects with the build probably would have showed itself early on. For a race engine I knew it had a purpose, I would have been more picky. BP engines are not for everyone, but I think they can serve their purpose in a lot of applications. Paying to have a SBC rebuilt these days isn’t cheap anymore and good machine shops are not on every corner anymore. Some like the idea of buying a rebuilt engine that shows up a couple days after you order it versus 2+ weeks it take to have a shop do it.