Boards getting sued for copyright infringement?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by angel71rs, Aug 5, 2010.

1. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Read a couple weeks ago about a small site that had to shut down after a Vegas paper sued the site owner for copyright infringement. Seems members posted quotes of articles from the paper's online articles, paper sued site, owner couldn't afford to fight. I don't remember what site it was, can't find where I read it, but this confirms the paper is filing lawsuits:

http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/editordetail.php?id=763

Then today I see this:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/announcements-rules/149009-copyrighted-material.html#post135571198

I don't know if what he alleges is true, but I foresee a lot of sites adopting similar rules as CYA.

2. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Well, the only way to make any money these days is in court....but if you sue someone with nothing....you can have it all.....;)

3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the Internet.:D

It seems to me if you link back and credit to the source, then what's the BFD? Almost EVERYONE who's been on the Web for any length of time and participated on any board could be sued for something like this. You could have a real world equivalent- if you talk to your neighbor about an article you read, you could be sued.:rolleyes: The whole thing sounds preposterous to me.

I wonder how "Fair Use" will be interpreted in these cases-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

4. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

I saw an expose on TV recently about that jerk.
    He uses the threat of a law suit to collect (EXTORT) $1,000's from small time operations.

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

He should be careful, he'll try to extort the wrong person and they will 'extort' some fluid from his knee with a pipe wrench.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  6. Little Naples

Little Naples Veteran Member

Biggest culprits are those who "grab" copyrighted photos from websites and post them somewhere else. Doesn't even matter if you take it upon yourself to credit the owner...if the owner did not give permission for usage it's still a copyright violation. Doesn't matter if the photo is not being used to generate income either; the photographer has the right to decide where and how his images are seen and represented.