Body and Paint Shop in SoCal?

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by sbca96, Jun 16, 2019.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Hey all,

Anyone have a shop they would recommend in Southern California that does GOOD yet AFFORDABLE body and paint work? Could even be lower Central California. I would prefer first hand experience and maybe seeing an example of the work they do.

Thanks!!

Tom

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I guess there is no such thing in California anymore:(.

Tom

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I've heard some folks in SoCal are going to Mexico to get this done.
    Try Googling Car Restoration Mexico and see what comes up.

4. hypnotix73

hypnotix73 New Member

I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone could come up with a good shop. I am in Ventura County (Thousand Oaks) but would be willing to take my car within 50 miles of here. Anyone??? My budget is probably around $10,000 and there is a tiny bit of trust that needs to be taken care of (old vinyl top car).

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Good yet affordable... Sometimes mutually exclusive. I guess depends on what your expectation of "good" is.

But, Eurobody in Reseda painted my car ~20 years ago. Albeit its in the garage mostly, but I'm not exagerrating when I say it looks as good as the day I got it back from them. I don't know what they charge these days, but it's probably worth talking to them.

6. Romney Mawhorter

Romney Mawhorter 70½ Z/28 RS, M21, 4.10, 65k/71 Restomod SS396

I'm in the process of blasting and powder coating my 71 at Primos in Huntington Beach. Afterward, I have a small body shop/painter in garden grove. I only know the owner is named Eddie. He has about 3 old cars outside that are painted pretty nice. He did repair/paint both my bumpers on my black 2013 camry and they look perfect (for $500 total). 71 arrived primo blaster 20210222.jpg 71 parked at primo 20210222.jpg 71 passenger side at primo 20210222.jpg 71 undercarriage at primo 20210222.jpg I'm going to try it, he is not as busy or as costly as others because people don't know him yet apparently. I'll update you in a few weeks as the car goes through the process. Here it is delivered to Primos last week.

7. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I took my Camaro to Santa Fe Auto Body, 2418 W 17th St Santa Ana, CA 92706. Talk to Romeo there. He did all the paint and bodywork, including getting the fiberglass front clip from one company on the car to line up with the fiberglass inner fenders from a second company and the fiberglass hood of a third company and have everything still look right and function. He initially quoted $3K and the bill came out to $4K by the time everything was said and done. Yes, he underbids himself and will try to make it up on the back end. Be prepared for this.

[​IMG]

That said, fair warning... do a Google Search on Confessions of a Body Shop Owner. Read it. Read it again. He can be one of the shops where your car will be in paint jail for years. Only leave a deposit of 10%. Stop by weekly or every other week randomly to check on progress. Offer another 10% if he's done more work, but don't pay too far in advance lest your car get put on the back burner, and explain that it's because you're bad with money. Ask if if there's stuff he needs. From start to finish my car was in and out in 4 months because I was on him like white on rice, and I felt I got every dollar's worth out of it. YMMV.

8. Romney Mawhorter

Romney Mawhorter 70½ Z/28 RS, M21, 4.10, 65k/71 Restomod SS396

When did you get painted?

9. Batman

I want to say back in late 2009~early 2010.

10. Batman

This is what he had to start with!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]