Body bushings metal vs polyurethane?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by JOEY72camaro, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Rustles

Rustles New Member

I'll add my shout out for Keith's aluminum set.. poly does need the silicone grease and all of my silicone bushings have grease fittings. I think the theory here is that something that's solid can't move and therefore can't squeak so for the body do solid for movable do poly if you want precision - rubber if NVH is an issue.. I've followed Keith's (and Pozzi's) recommendations for my '70 and I think it's as close as you can get to a "budget" Pro Touring..

2. jksvet

jksvet Veteran Member

Exactly what he said. I put in the metal ones because I also installed subframe connectors. I didn't like the subframe connectors because it created a much firmer ride than I wanted. Got rid of them and wish I would have put in the poly now.

3. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Veteran Member Gold Member

I went from 40 year old rubber to poly to solid in about a years time. Solids do transfer a bit more road noise, but nothing to detour most drivers of these types of cars. The best overall feel probably was poly, but I ditched them when I got my sfc’s on the advise off this forum. I’ll never look back.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you hear anything but an exhaust, invest in the engine upgrade.

flht99b likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

SFCs don't create a firm ride...Your suspension is doing that.

Rene Melten likes this.
  6. Rayden2009

Agreed!

7. procharged81

procharged81 Member

I used poly 15 years ago when I replaced my bent subframe, no issues with them, no squeaking.

When I started my restore a few years back, I was going to replace with poly again. 2 different fab shops told me to go solid and never look back. Both said the same thing...”Why tie the front and rear of the car together with connectors, then allow the body to flex on the frame?”

Some more road noise?? Who knows, can’t hear much over the exhaust and motor anyhow.

Rene Melten likes this.
  8. Rayden2009

I think I may have used the wrong term. When I said road noise, I meant a little more “road feel”. Just a bit less isolation between the cabin and the rest of the car, so in turn, the road. Kind of the same feeling going from rubber/poly to solid bushings on control arms. A little more “in tune” with the connection to the road.

Rene Melten likes this.
  9. badazz81z28

Poly or rubber would make more sense if the rear frame rails weren't already welded to the body. You need solid with SFCs because of that. You can't have rigid frame to body in the back and squishy in the front. You just end up cracking the welds or elongating the bolt holes. Better to make it all one solid structure.

10. raimond

raimond New Member

I don't like poly bushings because they have a tendency to get hard and squeak.