Body restoration estimate

Quazit

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2021
Dallas, North Carolina
I live outside of Charlotte. That is probably an over estimate to ensure they don't get hoodwinked on the money being paid and to work in anything they expect to run into..

But, I am restoring my 77, needs floor pans front and right rear left and right, trunk pan and more. But if I had 25k to toss at it I would go shopping before I took my time to do what I am doing (Welding it all myself). 25k will be over the minimum you'll be into it when its said and done.

If I WAS to pay 15k for that work, it damned better be show quality work at that price for me. Again why I'm doing mine myself.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
That is probably an over estimate to ensure they don't get hoodwinked on the money being paid and to work in anything they expect to run into..

I have been down that road before...if the estimate is $14K, he is not walking out with a bill less than that lol. He agreed to the quote of $14K, they will charge him that and nothing you can do...At least if done right and cared for over the years....20 years from now, you might get your money back out of it.

Z-Life

Nasty Member
Oct 3, 2016
Florida
I'd prolly sell you my 79 Z28 for 15k, its got new floors up front and trunk floor, does not need doors or rockers, has new fenders, trunk lid, needs some lower rear quarter work both sides, needs some roof repair along the edges, has a new race motor, brand new 700R4, new 3" exhaust with cutouts, new fuel pump, new ps pump w remote resivoir, hydra boost brakes, new rotors and calipers up front, killer pistol grip shifter, new leaf springs, new body bushings, new core support, new gas tank, fairly new comp engineering shocks. Needs rear end seals and front end suspension work and alignment, has new gauges and gauge panel, new seats front and rear, new carpet....factory 15 inch Z28 wheels... it is still a project but way ahead of where you are at. I like my car and dont need to sell it but if I did, I would get a 40's era truck and put a blown motor in it...other wise 6-71 blower is going on z28 after body and paint which I can do myself.

Maybe thats the solution for you is to take it on and do the work yourself learn and do it right. its the only way to come out of it close to breaking even....

buildinmy73

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2007
Bernardston, MA
Yup !!gotta agree with the masses here!
As I have first hand experience with rust as I live in MA.
Went through 2 shells before I threw the towel in and went out west and paid to have a shell shipped back from AZ “No rot at all after blasting it”
And I had 2 parts cars to help put it back together.
Best way to buy them is a roller so you can see the true health of the shell .
Best decision I ever made .
Take your T top car and put it in dry storage , take a trip out west ( either for real or virtually) and start hunting around for a complete car or even a shell and be done with it.

kttrucks

Jan 13, 2014
Nashville TN
Probably not what you want to hear, but aside from the estimate on floors, etc.. you said you're getting "complete door shells, so only installation and adjustment..." but I've spend as much as 20 hours per door, gapping, fitting, and bodyworking to make them look good and belnd into the other panels. Aftermarket or OE, you're going to have some time investment in replacing your doors, aftermarket is just going to cost more time. ( benefit is that they're lighter! =bonus!) That's not a statement on the quality of aftermarket panels, but certainly on the time it takes to make things fit well. I tell people to take what is estimated and add 20% to be safe. I read some great advice on this thread! Lots of folks have been down this road on here. Nothing wrong with investing in a vehicle build, just do it with your eyes open and expectations set at a realistic level. Good luck!!!

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Probably not what you want to hear, but aside from the estimate on floors, etc.. you said you're getting "complete door shells, so only installation and adjustment..." but I've spend as much as 20 hours per door, gapping, fitting, and bodyworking to make them look good and belnd into the other panels. Aftermarket or OE, you're going to have some time investment in replacing your doors, aftermarket is just going to cost more time. ( benefit is that they're lighter! =bonus!) That's not a statement on the quality of aftermarket panels, but certainly on the time it takes to make things fit well. I tell people to take what is estimated and add 20% to be safe. I read some great advice on this thread! Lots of folks have been down this road on here. Nothing wrong with investing in a vehicle build, just do it with your eyes open and expectations set at a realistic level. Good luck!!!

^^^ Very true, aligning and working even bolt on OER sheetmetal panels eats up time!

Latest posts