body rubber's

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by wood0691, Apr 6, 2011.

1. wood0691

wood0691 Veteran Member

where and what type is the best but not the most exspensive body mounts for the sub frame? ive been looking and there seems to be alot of different makes of poly or rubber.

2. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have the same question. I think I just may go with solid alum. mounts but, I am still not sure.

3. wood0691

wood0691 Veteran Member

ive got a buddy that use the solid alum. he said it was a rough ride. more like a horse buggy he said. i dont want that kinda ride.

4. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    body bushings do not control the quality of the ride. That is the job of springs and shocks.

If you have 30+ year old OE rubber bushings in the car now, you are probably riding with metal to metal contact. You can go with rubber, cheaper and will get you back to the factory specs. Find these at any of the resto shops (Classic, NPD, etc.) or even a good parts store.
    Poly will be a bit stiffer and can be found from places like Jegs and Summit, even AutoZone and Advance carry a good selection of Energy Suspension products, though the body bushings might have to be ordered.
    You can go solid, this will tighten up the ride and give the car a more positive feel if you push it hard. Get them from Dave at ptfb or Global West.

www.pro-touringf-body.com
    www.globalwest.net
    Good luck.

5. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

IMPOSIBLE!, your buddy is not looking at the big picture and is focused on the part he just changed.

First off, GM did not design these cars with a half frame with rubber bushings between the body and frame in order to give the car a nice ride.

- Chevy IIs (early Novas) have the front frame bolted dirrectly to the unibody with no rubber bushings, they don't drive harsher than a Camaro.

- ALL new cars have the front frame WELDED to the body. They don't ride harsh, in fact new car ride BETTER.

- Here is the problem with the "buddy's " car, the solid body bushings made the car more rigid (that is what you want) it makes the suspension work better instead of the whole car flexing and acting like a big spring itself.
    The cause of the rough ride is because of the suspension, worn out springs and/or shocks, wrong shocks, loose suspension, bushing bind or bad bushings.

6. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

go with the solids from PTFB.. not really even anything to debate here.. lol:bowtie:

7. wood0691

wood0691 Veteran Member

no debate here, sounds good to me K5. im just not that knowledgable about this stuff. thanks for the help

8. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Mikey and others!! Solid it is. Now I gotta find some "solid" money--LOL

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK, now you got me thinking...why did GM put these type bushings in?

If a solid one was needed from an engineering standpoint, they would have done it. Why the rubber sandwich?

I always thought they were there to absorb some of the vibration from going into the body compartment. The springs and shocks don't seem to be capable of this complete task, at least from a comfort perspective.

There must be something more to it.

10. wood0691

wood0691 Veteran Member

i would have to agree with you but wasnt going to argue the fact cause i dont know much about the whole thing myself but it does make sence for the body bushings helping the ride some. just my and the way i think.