body side moulding

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
just wondering about the body side moulding on my 79z.how its attached?whenever i win the lottery and get to repaint it will go.but i will like to take off as it looks bad.

speed_m5

Veteran Member
Apr 17, 2010
Baytown Texas
you talking in the middle of the door from fender to rear quarter? If so its just stuck on you can peel it off. Works best to heat it up with a heat gun and pull slow

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
It's on with 2 way tape. The tape is available at some auto stores if you ever want to reinstall it.

81BirdMan

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2004
What style is it? Some of that stuff is riveted in place.

IMG_0072.jpg

81BirdMan

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2004
phat80 said:
Is that your original moulding or aftermarket? nice finish on the end caps.

No, just a photo from a google image search. (Personally, I can't stand the looks of side moldings).

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
having trouble posting a pic.any way to tell if rivet or adhesive.would like to take these off,with out causing to much damage.i will try to figure out pics.

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
81BirdMan said:
What style is it? Some of that stuff is riveted in place.

IMG_0072.jpg
mine looks like this.was able to pull the center piece of the trim,just plastic,off.looks like it was riveted on.best way to take off?drill out rivets?other ideas. still figuring out how to load pictures.any help?

Baby67

Nov 28, 2015
Milford Center Ohio
I have found if moulding is factory option it will be located above the body line and riveted similar to the one pictured.

Two things strike me as out of place, first the scoop 80/81 style doesn't have enough space between bottom and body line to fit moulding. Second the body line is not correctly horizontal to each panel.