Bolt in 15/16 master?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Zedzag, May 9, 2009.

1. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Anyone know of a GM 16/16" master cyliner that will bolt in to my 81Z? I need one that has metric fitting just like the factory 81 master. This is for my C4 style baer track kit.

2. Tito

Tito New Member

I'm pretty sure '81 still uses the english fitting sizes of 1/2-20 and 9/16-18

'81 picked up the "quick-takeup" style master with the larger 3rd/rear piston though, which are specified with metric bore diameters...

I can't guarantee it, but the '88 S-10 master cyl is a 24mm bore (~15/16") and should bolt right up with the same 1/2-20 and 9/16-18 fittings on the driver's side of the master. You'll probably need to swap the plastic reservoir from your old master to the new one to keep the angle right...

-T

3. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I thought the fittings would be metric. Cool. How hard is it to swap out the reservoir? I assume I want the four wheel disc master from the s-10?

4. Tito

Tito New Member

It's been a while since I messed with any of the "newer style" master cyls with the plastic reservoir, but I'm pretty sure they just CAREFULLY pull out and push back in. I seem to recall they have a rubber seal or O-ring or something? I know I did this on the Fiero (ha ha) waay back when, so it couldn't have been that hard.

The S-10 is disc front/drum rear, but I don't think GM was using residual pressure valves in the rear drums anymore by then, so I don't think it would matter. Again -- I'm not 100% sure (I haven't tried this).

That leaves you with the choice of a "power" or "manual" master cyl for an '88 S10 and I'd probably pick the power one...

FWIW, here's NAPA's pic of the '81 Camaro master cyl (click to link):
    [​IMG]

And the '88 S10 unit (click to link):
    [​IMG]

5. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

You could get the Old's version of the blazer's master cyl., as they cam with disc/disc.

6. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Great info Tito. Those tanks look like they'll swap no problem.

What year was the Olds disc/disc master?

7. Tito

Tito New Member

Olds Bravada didn't launch until 1991 and didn't get rear discs until 1997 or so(?). Looks like the 97 setup uses a 1" bore master cyl though. and 1998+ moved the outlets to the opposite side of the master cylinder.

You can just go poke around over at napaonline.com (no, I'm not associated with them, but they have a great website)