• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

Borgeson quick turn steering box

78TypeLTCamaro

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 2, 2001
Earth
I concur. I had it installed in my Camaro and it is like Night and Day. Much more solid feel and very little movement needed to turn the wheel.

biker

Veteran Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I guess what I should be asking is "What am I gonna gain over the OEM box"?
I guess what you gain over an oem box is quicker initial turn in, and quicker overall ratio.
Unless you race your car, not worth doing the swap unless you have a worn or leaking oem box.
This cant make sense, but it also seems like my steering pump is not working as hard.

Burnttoastburgos

Veteran Member
Jan 22, 2019
Colorado
I spoke with the fells at Lee Power Steering. They explained every question I had and also stated Borgenson was a chinese version of Saginaw. Man, those pumps are pricey. 12:1 vs 12.7:1...I went with a Flaming River column so I ditched the rags joints for U joints. Thanks

biker

Veteran Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
If I could have bought a Lee box without getting bent over for shipping, brokerage, duty and exchange, I would have bought one. However, I'm quite happy with the Borgeson.

How do you like the Flaming River column? Any pics? My image of aftermarket columns is stuck in the 90's with chrome and billet crap. If somebody made a stock looking column I'd go for it.

Burnttoastburgos

Veteran Member
Jan 22, 2019
Colorado
If I could have bought a Lee box without getting bent over for shipping, brokerage, duty and exchange, I would have bought one. However, I'm quite happy with the Borgeson.

How do you like the Flaming River column? Any pics? My image of aftermarket columns is stuck in the 90's with chrome and billet crap. If somebody made a stock looking column I'd go for it.
27 bux for shipping. Sorry about the Canada border price gouge.....Although I would love to relocate to Williams Lake B.C.area, im not ready yet..As for Flaming River, I have had them in the last two builds, excellent quality and finish and performed flawlessly for years. This pic is from a 76 FJ40 I just traded for a 68 GTX, so its gone. The column for the Z28 is still en route. It is as close to stock looking as meets my taste.

To get back to the o.p., i learned the steering is a 14:1 on my oem pump, but every single nut, bolt, wire and drivetrain component is new on my current build So to me, it was the last item left up in the air. I'm in so deep on this Camaro build, another 900 dollars aint gonna kill me.

Pics for Insurance Company 009.jpg

biker

Veteran Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
The FJ looks great! I took a look at the Flaming River website, but they had nothing listed for an 81 Z. I'm sure they make one, I will call and see.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
In regards to the steering column I've used Ididit a few times with good success. You can buy the plain steel type and paint it to match as needed.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
So, I'm interested, just what is the ratio of the Borgeson box? The original box on my 70SS is very fast. It is 2.3 turns lock to lock. Is the Borgeson any faster than that?

Latest posts