Borrowing Stuff

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Aug 24, 2020.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Well this weekend I needed to use a tool I did not have so I called the one guy I know who had what I needed to use. Called him, asked if I could borrow it. "Oh no way, I will do it for you as when I lend tools out they almost always come back broken". Now in the past I have borrowed out to this guy some pretty spendy parts to use on his car form time to time and I did remind him of that. Got a little quiet and then he asks if I had an intake he could use, WTF? so the call ended there. I bought the tool I needed used for $40 and it worked great. Guess that taught me a good lesson. Rant over, carry on. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Zstar likes this.
  2. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

I guess that guy burnt another bridge eh :):):).

Oh BTW... Is this your buddy that you keep pulling a fast one on. LOL.
    If it is then I don't blame him, if you know what I mean :D.

1980RS likes this.
  3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

For $40 buck I'd rather own it then borrow it. I borrowed a buddies electric chainsaw a few years back. Got it home, plugged it in and it didn't work. Of course the guy swears it worked when he loaned it to me so I bought him another one. I didn't check it there in front of him so as far as he knows it did work. Lesson learned. I avoid borrowing anything anymore.

Dave Nelson, Zstar and carr911 like this.
  4. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

My cousin will borrow a tool every now & then & never had an issue.

I’ve loaned out a tie rod end reamer to a couple of guys I’ve only known on forums and got it back no issues.
    My step-son borrowed my pressure washer and lost a couple of nozzle tips.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

My "friend" borrowed my chain saw. He had it for quite a while. I called and told him to bring it back. He said "yours burnt up, but you can BORROW mine" It never made it's way back to him.
    One friend that keeps borrowing my induction heater asked for it again Friday. I asked why he didn't buy one. He actually said "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE THINGS COST??? " Uhhh....

6. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

I don't loan tools to anyone, especially if it's one of the expensive ones. I will go and help and bring the tools and stay until it is done, or have them come over and use the shop space, but some of the tools are expensive and easy to lose pieces to

Zstar likes this.
  7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

My neighbors son borrowed his pressure washer. H screwed up running it with no water. Brings it back and did not say anything.
    Neighbor tells me this story and asks to use mine. Darn, my impeller crapped out. Sorry. Heh,heh.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My sons are the only ones who know what tool are in my garage and we loan each other whatever and whenever needed.

Never a problem, yet.

One of my sons has had my welder all summer but he would bring it home if I needed it.
    Actually, I would have him weld whatever I need as both my boys are pretty good welders.

9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Didn't we have a post a while ago about needing new friends?? I remember posting about my "friend" who borrowed my engine hoist and called me to come out and pick it up because he was done with it and was too "busy" to return it-same clown borrowed my leaf blower and gave it to his brother in law who promptly sold it on CL :screwup: [all in a week or so's time]
    Post 'em up love those stories/experiences always a great laugh!! Later Steve!!

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

No this is some other racer that will not use anymore of my fine racing parts again.