Bose 901 House Stereo Speakers

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

I have no home stereo equipment and I am thinking of purchasing some used stereo equipment. What do you think of Bose 901 speakers? What is a good alternative for me to also consider?

2. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have 3 pairs of them, 2 pair have been in my pole barn for decades and I pound the sh&t out of them
    They work and work good

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Twisted, Maybe so but my neighbors can't tell the difference and believe me some nights they hear em
    I'd get them if the price is right

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

They will work without an equalizer but to appreciate the engineering (and audiophile quality) of them in a living room, the EQ/controller is a plus.
    I just wanted the OP to know about that piece of equipment. (Neighbors can only appreciate the sound Db level, not so much the sound quality.)

Those speakers have a lot of drivers.
    If the foam surrounds are old (brittle/torn) and they need new ones, it's not a difficult task but the number of them makes it quite a project.

[​IMG]

wiseryder likes this.
  6. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

The pair that I found for sale has the equalizer to go with the speakers. Thanks for the information!

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Twisted makes a good point too, look at the foam rubber surrounds on those speakers. Age and hard use is not kind to speakers.

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

never really got the BOSE thing. And yes i believe it's just a thing. All depends on how YOU like to listen to YOUR music....
    The opening bars to PAINKILLER by Judas Priest ???.....are supposed to be FELT...like a hammer hitting you in the chest!!!
    vs
    Shout at the Devil....Motley Crue ...the greatest system known to mankind couldn't make that drum hit you harder than a wet noodle....SOUNDS GOOD...but no feeling.. :(

Seems the WAY I like to experience my music differs from the way BOSE plays it.

budro6968 likes this.
  9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Lots of variables and alternatives for vintage speakers. Few good ones besides Bose are Advent, KLH, Klipsch, Acoustic Research, Altec Lansing. Too many to name. I liked Advent. Have you considered new? Prices on new are pretty reasonable nowadays.
    Also depends a lot on what's driving them.

10. younda

younda Veteran Member

I recently picked up some vintage Marantz receivers and a few different speakers including JBL L-100's which are highly regarded and very good to listening. I'd read up on some audiophile forums and facebook groups before buying. I've never owned or even listened to vintage Bose speakers but in general, it seems audiophiles treat Bose the way Camaro forums treat Mustangs. I'd buy the 901's if the condition and price were right though.