Bought a 77 Z

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
nice car. Ive always wanted a 77z.
Thanks perkalator. I wasn't even looking, it kinda fell into my lap. I'm glad it did. Been working on it when I get time. Took carb off today, re jetted rebuilt, changed power valve. We still have stuff to do, but it's coming around. Next is oil leak.

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
I love the 77 Z28 s . I always liked the Brown , White , and especially the orange 1977 Z28.
That’s a super nice car , I bet it runs like striped ape with a 454 under the hood …even a mild one is impressive .

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I love the 77 Z28 s . I always liked the Brown , White , and especially the orange 1977 Z28.
That’s a super nice car , I bet it runs like striped ape with a 454 under the hood …even a mild one is impressive .
Thanks! I knew nothing about this car or the 77 Z. Still don't know much, other than it's really growing on me. It's only traveled about 6 miles in the last 16 years, so there were some surprises. It's starting to run pretty good, but could be a lot better. Breaks 'em loose pretty much at will. Other than the motor it's very stock. Think I'm gonna throw a 5gal of VP 110 or 112 in to wake it up. Don't know much about the engine, other than Merlin heads, small Comp cam (PO told me it was Crane, but I got the cam card) Performer RPM, Quick Fuel 750 carb, coated Hooker Super Comps. 1971 block, PO said it was LS5 out of a Chevelle. Gonna get the bore scope out to see what I can see inside. No idea how old the fuel is. I'll work on it when I get time over the winter.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Got the oil leak fixed (I think). At least the one in the front. Think it was a couple things. Took the chrome A/M timing cover off, replaced with a GM one Kid had laying around. New seal and gaskets, old crank seal had a nick and seemed to have a flat spot. There was no sealant between the pan gasket and the timing cover gasket, so we gooped that up. It wouldn't leak much at idle or if you drove it like a sane person. Balancer was twisted on the elastomer, so timing was not possible. Replaced with a TCI rattler. TCI does not tell you the bolts are an oddball 3/8 fine thread and the stock ones are coarse. Didn't get pics of this during, pushing to get it done for New Years eve, last nice day for a while and I wanted to take it for a ride. It'd spew oil out only when you beat on it, so I took it out and whooped the piss out of it, parked it on the lift and put cardboard under it. Nothing. No leaks, so I guess we fixed it. Next is carb. QF 750. Dead spot between pri and sec. Had it apart and found a few problems, apparently not the one that's causing the flat spot. I've had a lot of carb problems that were in the distributor, so that'll get looked at. Need a 5 gal of VP 112 to see if that helps, check out distributor. It sat for years, so I think it's worth a look. One more thing checked off the list. On to the next. Pics are after ride. No oil spray under hood.

Attachments

• 20211231_130925.jpg
    20211231_130925.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20211231_130915.jpg
    20211231_130915.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211231_130710.jpg
    20211231_130710.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

f-body freak

Veteran Member
Nov 22, 2014
northern ohio
Just seen this!!! Congrats Phil. I'm jealous for sure. Nice looking 77. The 77Zs have grown on me over the years. I think they're just as sharp as the 78-81s I didnt used to feel that way

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Thanks Rod. How you and the Mrs. feeling?
I never paid much attention to the 77 Z's till lately. Honestly I bought it to sell, but I think it's staying right where it is for now.

Latest posts