Bought a Trunk lid off of EBay!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by badazz81z28, Sep 18, 2020.

1. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad you found a serviceable trunk lid man. Looks like it fits well. Measure 3 times for where to drill the holes for the spoiler studs. I remember I was very anxious when I drilled mine but I got it right somehow.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yeah, an OE trunk lid that wasn’t rusting at the seams seemed to be an impossible find. To find one that matched the date code as my original too was even crazier. I put a lot of time fitting, adjusting and drilling the spoiler holes in this one before I had it painted. I left the Firebird emblem holes, the spoiler covers them.

3. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well if you left those you proably will need to seal them up to keep water and insects from getting in the trunk.

4. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

My '71 had a rear spoiler on it when I got it. Real butcher job!

My '89 Grand Prix SE didn't have a rear spoiler but I wanted one. Got the factory part that came with a blueprint of where it attached. Had Maaco paint it (yeah I know but painting in the driveway sux). They DID do an almost perfect color match though. Metallic Gunmetal gray. So I cut and taped the blueprint to the trunk lid and set the spoiler on it. The hole locations (4 of them) were a half inch or more to one side! Copy of copy of blueprints and this one sucked a dirty mop!

Measured my Mom's '95 SE and got the thing in the right place (hers had the factory one). Marked it, drilled it, installed it. Oh how I'd have been pissed if I had been clueless and went by the blueprint!