Boycott Autozone!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by junkyardZ28find, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here. Heck, if I know I need a part ahead of time I'll have them deliver them to me at the shop as well.

2. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

X100,000,000,000,000!!!

I hate that place more than anything.. Oreillys for me!

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Its funny how some forget that it cost money to pay employees and the electric bill in a store. Always expect to pay more for something in a retail store, but the benefit is you get it immediately versus waiting for UPS. Having bought from Rock-Auto...they have shipping delays, mail through snail mail USPS, and sometimes send old stock. I wouldn't put them on such a high pedestal

4. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, Just ordered my upper and lower ball joints (AC Delco) for the truck from Rockauto, $104 and some change w/shipping that will be delivered by the end of the week. Everyone one else either doesn't have the parts or is nearly double in price. :)

5. Mike N

Your AC Delco ball joints will likely have "Made in China" printed on the box.

6. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

I have worked before in my younger days for AZ...I like it when people who haven't worked in a parts store (at least the majority of people) say it costs money to pay employees to help them "put food on the table" as it were. Well, my very last year we were told "corporate" was giving our store $1.20 for the yearly raise to split among us 7 hourly employees. Is that putting food on the table when OT is never allowed? What would you think if your employer offered you a .15 to .20 an hour raise when your store was one of the more profitable stores in your district? And no bonuses? No employee discounts on express parts-just in stock parts-mostly Chinese? No thanks.

I do think of all the parts stores, O'Reillys by far is a better parts store. Kudos to NAPA for keeping employees paper catalog smart too!

7. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Or Mexico? At this point, does it really make a difference as long as the parts meets GM specifications and QC standards?

:)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  8. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I worked for AZ from '06-'10, I started at $10 & quit at $14.
    I was extra cash & a 20% discount. When I first started the parts were good, repackaged Moog, Raybestos, Performance Friction, even OEM stuff. Open a sensor box. & it was a Mopar bag on the inside or FMC.

Greed kicked in & the quality went down hill.
    They were more worried about nickel & dimeing the customer then taking care of them. The month checkout challenge, wash & wax stuff in January, you couldn't sell it because it was 10 degrees out, and then get yelled at because you weren't selling it.
    The final straw for me was when my store manager was on vacation & her fill in from another store want me to call in the sales numbers to her hourly.
    She didn't like it when she called & I told her I didn't have time because I had 8 deep waiting for parts & she went off on me & I hung up. I finished the shift & handed my key in the next day.

I recently did brakes on my Tahoe and had to do some good grinding on the slide areas to get them to fit. The box said "Made in India".

9. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

There are "Sub" managers that do that, hell there are Managers that do that too. Sometimes that demand is from them, sometimes its from higher up the chain.
    Getting hourly sales numbers is stupid. Customers take time whether they only buy a quart of oil or a $5,000 rebuilt engine. Selling an engine an hour one day and just a bunch of wiper blade refills the next really screws with the sales dollars per hour.
    Wiper blades could be a transaction every minute while the engine sales is about the only customer that hour.
    O'Reillys HERE has parts guys on the professional side where mechanics and shops call that has partsmen that have been in the parts business for Good Gawd, OVER 40 years each. Dave grew up in the Family Autoparts store, Bud is as old as dirt. AZ also has some 35+yr veterans Darrell and Bud used to be at the last independent store before it closed. Darrell went to AZ, Bud to O'Reillys.

10. Mike N

May as well go to Vato Zone and buy their Mexican ball joints then.