Boycott Autozone!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by junkyardZ28find, Oct 25, 2014.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

^ what he said.

I can assure you that az, Oreillys nor any other parts co is ordering from rock auto except in the case of an outside purchase like previously described. That said, all parts co's share several manufacturers, eg dorman or moog or Felpro etc. but that's a supply chain, direct from manufactures warehouse to joes parts co warehouse.

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Well, that's your opinion... If you like using a product that hasn't taken advantage of technology changes in the last 50 years, more power to you.

I've got a dozens of independent repair shops and fleet operators where I've shown the ACDelco professional ball joint cutaway with a Moog "Problem Solver" ball joint cutaway to.

I've never had a single one tell me they thought the Moog was better.

And the prices are similar. Sometimes the ACD is a little higher, sometimes it's a little lower. Usually not more than $5.00 difference (jobber price) between the two.

3. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

ORielly's uses Arrow Speed out of KC for its Hot Rod parts source. Never a bargain there. That's why Summit became so popular.

BUT I have found the I can often times go to the MFG and get the parts as quick ir quicker and at the same price as Summit.

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL you're killing me man. :crazy: Always so serious and intense. I personally like Delco stuff but I get a pretty good price break on it. I have used Moog for years and years and never had a quality issue. We're not talking about a guy that just works on his hobby car I'm a 30+ year tech that spent a lot of time on the front end/alignment rack.

Feel free to post up a cut away of a Moog joint and a Delco joint. I'm of the opinion they are both made by the same manufacturer anyway.

5. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do know this has been posted before on here.

6. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Experience has nothing to do with it, Dave. AC Delco is far superior to anyone else.... I read it on the Internet so it must be true.

7. Flyingkiwi

Flyingkiwi Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LMFAO!!!

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I just dislike it when people make statements with little to no basis in fact.

Here's a link to the thread where I posted the photos of the ACD Pro and the Moog Problem Solver:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282431&highlight=Ball+Joint+Moog+ACDelco

I never said that Moog isn't any good - just that the ACD Pro is better. When the price is nearly the same - don't you want to use the higher quality part?

And I didn't read about this on the internet - I actually have the cutaways that I use to show shop owners. It doesn't take a true pro very long to look and feel the difference to decide which one ball joints they want to use.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not to be a dick, but you don't own "facts". Just because you say it doesn't make it a lock solid, that's the way it is, no other opinions matter statement. I'm not trying to be insulting but IMO Mikes 30+ (assuming the quantity because he's the same age as me) years fixing cars trumps all the years you've sold the parts. Nothing personal. I don't ask a car salesman what he thinks about the reliability, I don't ask the pharmaceutical rep for a prescription, I don't tug on Superman's cape and I never spit into the wind.

Also IMO, given the two pictures of the ball joints I think the Moog is the part I would buy. The Delco joint looks pretty but the Moog is better. The Delco greaseable on a Kevlar bushing so when the non sealed umbrella boot allows grit in (and it will) it will grind the hell out of the Kevlar. They should have lubed it for life and sealed the top. ;)

Do I need my eyes check because I disagree with you?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Knuckle, I will say this. The reason they DONT seal it is because of old school mechanics and diyers that "think" balljoint a and tie rod ends needs lifetime of constant greasings with whatever the shop has handy to spooge in there and contaminate it. As an example look at oe joints. They haven't been greats able in 10 or more years. Non greasable AND generally go over 100,000 mi before needing to be replaced. This is literally the thinking expressed to me by my moog rep. It's not that moog is a poorly made product, because it is not. It is a great product. Just a product catering to the masses.