Boycott Autozone!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by junkyardZ28find, Oct 25, 2014.

1. BMR Suspension

BMR Suspension Veteran Member

10405281_10152546405324930_5662932352173342130_n.jpg

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm well aware it's a global manufacturing world we live in. I've seen my share of name brand parts made everywhere but here, and yes that includes Moog.

My experience with ACD suspension parts is limited, but based on my success with Moog I have no desire to change now.

As far as the MIC comment, if you've been in the parts business as long as I suspect you have, you should be able to somewhat agree that MIC hasn't always been synonymous with quality parts. Maybe I'm a narrow minded old school guy, but I have a good relationship with my vendors and I hate to change things around now by trying different brands, especially since I'm satisfied with what I'm currently using. Your ACD ball joints may well be the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'm cool with Moog.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

But then there's the new car service department. I'd rather fix it myself than spend time in that jungle.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Mike

I think we can begin to move forward...;)

If I had never been exposed to the differences between Moog (the industry leader in aftermarket chassis parts for decades) and what ACD and some other companies brought to market years ago - I would use Moog parts myself. In fact, when I rebuilt the front end of my GTO (installing Global West tubular A arms, Koni coilovers and Wilwood disc brakes), I could only get an ACD tie rod end for one side so used a Moog for the other. I could tell the difference between the two and did feel the ACD was of higher quality, but Moog is so much better than anything else I could get my hands on for the weekend project.

I'm always suspect of "Made in China" parts myself - even today. The quality is all over the board based on what quality the parts vendor demands. Some vendors don't care - all they care about is the price. Others demand, and get, quality.

I know many companies sell hub bearings made in China. I prefer to sell the OE (ACD/MTC/Mopar) hub bearings or the Timken unit. We do have a line of Chinese hub bearings that are some of the best Chinese hub bearings available. I would not put these on a vehicle I own, but they are much better (based on feedback from my customers that do use them -,fit finish, longevity in use) over the brands the box stores sell.

As far as sticking with what works, if I did that all the time I'd still be running bias ply tires....;P Bias ply tires were great until the first set of radials I bought in 1975...:D I felt like superman taking corners at much higher speeds without any tire squeal!

Moog is now copying the technology that ACD and others have had for years - so you will be stepping up in quality with the Moog product.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

this horse NOT dead ..yet?

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

no, it's in the same stable as ebola

7. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I only felt it fair to reply to Champ's comments on what he suspected I did or didn't know.

Apples and Oranges. We're talking about a ball joint, not tires. I asked before and I'll ask again.... What will the ACD ball joint do for me that the Moog won't? Will my car handle better, pull more G's in the skidpad, get better gas mileage or help me pick up chicks if I have ACD parts, or am I doomed to a life of broken promises and shattered dreams with Moog?

8. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Billy take Old Yeller out back.............