Braided brake lines to Master Cylinder?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by philip riou, Oct 7, 2019.

1. philip riou

philip riou Member

I'm thinking of changing the copper lines to my master cylinder to braided ones for looks. Similar to this, http://waynes33.blogspot.com/2014/04/

Can't seem to find many examples of this though, on any car. Is it a bad idea? Anyone done it?

2. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

The advice I was given was to stick with hardlines wherever possible and only use flexi for the short hops where they are needed.
    Even braided lines will have some degree of bulge (just less than rubber) which can affect braking performance. The more flexi you add, the more potential for bulging lines you'll have.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Where do you have copper lines?

4. philip riou

philip riou Member

I've got braided on the last bit to the calipers, but copper coming off the master cylinder.

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kinda wondering that myself, hopefully OP meant steel. I replaced the rubber brake lines with braided, didn't realize that much improvement. I definitely will not replace the steel lines with braided though. If you need new lines, there are several vendors with quality products. I used Inline Tube when I switched to rear disc and changed to an aluminum master cylinder.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I never saw that b4. Usually hard steel curly Q to allow flex. Copper work hardens so it probably not a good thing to use it.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OP - original from factory was steel, not copper. I seriously doubt anyone would use copper for brake lines, copper won't withstand the pressure.

8. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I think nickel-copper brake line has a coppery hue. Maybe that's what it is. It would be light colored, though. Pure copper would be dark with age. If that's the case, don't drive it!