Brake booster for k1500 and brand better than others

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Well the brake booster in my 98 k1500 work truck has went to crap and needs replaced. Never replaced a booster before but looks like I am in for a real fun job on this one. Any brand of booster better than others? Definitely doesnt look to be a job I want to do twice!

Thanks,
Matt

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
I had the booster fail on my '81 Chevy pickup some years back. I simply picked up a rebuilt one from my local auto parts store. Installing it wasn't very difficult. I was able to unbolt the master cylinder and pull it forward enough with the lines still connected to have room to pull the booster and replace it. The nice thing about the old '81 truck is that there is plenty of room under the dash to change things over on that end. Your '89 will likely be more difficult under the dash, but still more roomy than a Camaro or small car.
The replacement one has worked perfectly since I installed it.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Yeah from the quick youtube video I watched under the dash part looks to be extremely tight quarters on these trucks. Not looking forward to this one, also debating if I should just change the master while I am there as well...

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
They aren’t that bad, unclip rod from pedal, 4 bolts under dash (15mm if I remember right) and like mentioned before, the 2 at the master and that should move enough to get the booster in and out.

54-71085 should run about $100

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Yeah from the quick youtube video I watched under the dash part looks to be extremely tight quarters on these trucks. Not looking forward to this one, also debating if I should just change the master while I am there as well...

All Gravy and I'm a fat bastard. I prefer OEM or Delco Professional series.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
The booster just went out again on my '68 Firebird so I will get one of the smaller ones this time to save some space.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Looks like delco isnt producing it anymore, Cardone and SKP seem to be most the online places have available. I will go delco professional on the new master though.

Also can anyone tell me the difference between jb5 and jb6 brake code? Mine is jb5 but some of the boosters say jb5 and others say jb5 or jb6. Just curious what the difference is.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Looks like delco isnt producing it anymore, Cardone and SKP seem to be most the online places have available. I will go delco professional on the new master though.

Also can anyone tell me the difference between jb5 and jb6 brake code? Mine is jb5 but some of the boosters say jb5 and others say jb5 or jb6. Just curious what the difference is.

Some trucks had heavy duty rear brake pads or bigger shoes.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ