Brake Hose advice?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by kenny77, Apr 30, 2020.

1. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have really only one question on replacing these front hoses..... Looks to me like it's better to pull that retainer clip off, and pull the fitting and line through that bracket. and then with a 3/8 and a 9/16 unscrew that hose.
    The thing is RIGHT under my inner fender and I can't see doing it by leaving that line clipped into that bracket.
    You guys tell me how you did this.... thx Ken

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did it but don't remember having that much of an issue. I may of pulled the inner fender though, it's not that big of a job for me. Do you have front jacked up, load off front suspension, and tire off?

3. kenny77

Yeah, and the it looks like I can just pull that hose with the line attached to it through that bracket. That will get it far enough out from the inner fender to unscrew it. Access from the top is FUBAR with my G-braces and everything

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ugh, seems there's a negative for every positive.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't trust that little bracket to hold the steel line while breaking the rubber hose connection free.

Remove the clip, pull it through and use two wrenches (or a wrench and a vise grips) to break it loose or you may twist the steel line and wreck it.
    I think I had to resort to holding the steel line with a vice grips when I disconnected them.

6. kenny77

Twisted,
    I pulled the line through the bracket and in spite of it being sprayed with PB Blaster, It wont break loose.
    It feels like I was STILL starting to twist the hard line itself instead of it breaking loose with the two wrenches. So for now I put on new calipers, rotors, and pads because they were all just old. The hose install will have to wait until I order a new set of front hard lines......someone said they sell pre-bent ones? Because I'm afraid I'm going to break them off or have them start leaking if I keep on.
    If I had any balls I would just take my chances with 2 pairs of vice grips.

7. VandykeT/A

VandykeT/A Member

Take a small camping torch and heat the nut up then use 2 vice grips.

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

depends....is this YOUR DRIVER?....or project?....lol
    drivers must be driven.....so order lines THEN try to get loose...if you fail...you already have the new line ;)
    if it's a project....tear into it....fix what breaks....whenever replacements show up... lol