Brake issues, pedal goes to floor over time and front drivers locks

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by BigBeech, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sounds exactly like the issue I had on my 68 C-20 truck. It turned out to be the master, but I also had to replace all the rubber brake hoses. They were collapsing internally causing other issues.

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. They often dont leak when they fail. As knuckledragger said, they just bypass internally.

3. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

BAD master cylinder. The seals loose their flexibility and slowly leak by = pedal drops when you apply constant pressure.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Does the fluid level drop and you have to add more? I Did a job for a guy that said he had to keep refilling the M/C and had mushy brakes. I pulled all 4 wheels. No leaks any where. When I pulled the M/C off the Booster had juice running out. It was leaking in to the booster. This guy was driving his car for a month or more like that. Lord! I said how do you stop in a hurry? He said jam the E-brake on and pump like hell.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If fluid level is dropping then there’s a leak somewhere and you will need to top up until the leak is fixed.
    I bought a rebuilt Delco 409 MC from Napa and after the bench bleeding and installing, bleeding all the wheels it leaked after going for a drive.

I changed it for a new Napa MC and redid the procedure with no leaks. After this Covid is all done with I plan on getting my orig Delco MC rebuilt and sleeved. The Napa new MC is guaranteed for life as long as you have the bill. I couldn’t find mine when I bought my new Napa MC back in 2005 which started to leak last summer.