Brake line adapter for Wilwood proportioning valve

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by AJ81Z28, Apr 18, 2018.

1. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 Member

Each new combination valve I would get after warrantying it out would eventually leak in six months. I decided to put in a Wilwood proportioning valve and change the brake lines out from the master cylinder. Anyways, I have not been able to find a brake line adapter to go from the rear brake line to the Wilwood.

The rear brake line is 9/16 - 18 flare 1/4 inch tube. The Wilwood has a 1/8 NPT. It came with an adapter that was too small on the flare side. So my friend chopped up the combination valve and welded the adapter to the combo valve piece. It worked out pretty well but he kind of messed up the threads. So it started leaking after a few days. So do I have to go to a junkyard and repeat the cutting welding thing to make another adapter? Or has someone done this before and found an adapter?

My other option would be to yank out the brake line and put a smaller fitting on it after cutting off the 9/16.

2. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

There is one place I found the 9/16-3/8 flare adapters but hard to find. Using a 1/8 NPT to 3/8 could get that to work -or put a 3/8 flare nut on the line and re double flare it.

There are prop valves with a 3/8 flare built on them.

3. Quick stick

Quick stick New Member

I recently upgraded my front brakes on my 1980 Z28 with Wilwood Dynalite brake kit. I kept the rear drum brakes as I have built the car for drag racing. The problem is adapting the male 9/16 X 1/4 X 18 hard line fitting to the female 3/8 x3/16 x24 size used on the residual valve and the proportioning valve. I contacted Wilwood with no luck resolving this issue. The hunt for a fitting finally took me to BrakeConnect hardware and tools. They had the fitting I needed, they call it a thread changer part number BQ261 $ 3.66 US. BrakeConnect has an amazing selection of fittings and adapters. I've seen some pretty scetchy ways to overcome this problem by using multiple fitting that don't always belong together! This is the safest way to make the connection.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I actually just swapped the entire steel line from 1/4" to 3/16".

5. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I found the adapter I needed on the Dorman rack at O'Reilys or Auto Zone (cannot remember which). Cost about $8 for 2 of them.

Zee likes this.
  7. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

Share the PN so those in the future don't have to spend $90 to have a new line made like I did :whine:

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I wish I could. I threw away the packaging at least year ago.
    I think I used this valve with the adapters off the Dorman rack to resize the inlet/outlet.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-10922
    20190114_183549.jpg
    If you do not have their part numbers already, it is difficult to order anything directly from Wilwood. I had to buy separate adapters to plumb the line into their master cylinder as well. The kit did not have the right size included.
    20190114_183112.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Zee likes this.