Brake Line help

1981zapper

Veteran Member
Apr 28, 2009
Great White North
I purchased all new pre-bent stainless steel brake lines for my 81.

I was installing the master cylinder to prop valve lines and noticed these lines are reversed of what the factory did.

Will this cause any issues?

Original lines

FB30E55A-D8D7-4D24-81C4-038E08BAC3C3.jpeg

New stainless steel lines
1D3BD3FA-D5B8-40A7-87BE-F89BB60796D1.jpeg

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
You do not want to swap those lines! Basically the proportioning valve is set to a 60% front 40% rear bias, and it also ensures the rear brakes are the first to operate, imagine the front brakes working first; rear end of car is going to want to come around on you under heavy braking. You can see that brake line sizes are different sizes also. Lines have to be routed exactly as factory had them for the pressures/flow required to operate are correct for front/rear. I wouldn't even want to think about how bad the brakes are going to work if at all. Where did you get those lines? I would definitely call the manufacturer, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen, I'm very surprised that made it into production. In Line Tube appears to have the correct lines in stainless for your car: https://www.inlinetube.com/products/sccb71j1

Last edited:

berg2695

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2011
In 1981 only (I believe), Camaros had a 'fast-takeup' master cylinder along with a new power booster to match. The master has the front brake piston in the back and the rear brake piston in the front- reversed from previous years. The tell-tale is the larger diameter portion of the master cylinder in back, next to the booster. Low drag brake calipers were installed which necessitated the fast take-up master. Grzewnicki is absolutely correct. The connections must duplicate the factory installation. So, there should be no such thing as a 1970- 1981 Camaro complete brake line kit. There's 70-80, and then there is 1981. Don't even get me started on how hard it is to find '81 calipers. I think most have been absorbed into the remanufacturing system mixed with all the pre '81 calipers. The only difference is the angle of the piston seal groove that is machined into them.

DougD

Veteran Member
Dec 2, 2014
Bradenton, FL
You do not want to swap those lines! Basically the proportioning valve is set to a 60% front 40% rear bias, and it also ensures the rear brakes are the first to operate, imagine the front brakes working first; rear end of car is going to want to come around on you under heavy braking. You can see that brake line sizes are different sizes also. Lines have to be routed exactly as factory had them for the pressures/flow required to operate are correct for front/rear. I wouldn't even want to think about how bad the brakes are going to work if at all. Where did you get those lines? I would definitely call the manufacturer, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen, I'm very surprised that made it into production. In Line Tube appears to have the correct lines in stainless for your car: https://www.inlinetube.com/products/sccb71j1

Wouldn't surprise me if those came from Inline.