Brake Suggestions?

Mike700

Aug 9, 2021
Hey everyone, Im working on restoring a '77. Its my first real project, so Im new to a lot of this stuff. Next on my list is to replace the brakes. I might just be bad at searching for stuff online, but Im having a lot of trouble finding parts. Do any of you have kits you would recommend or favorite sites I should be looking at?

Im looking to replace the front knuckles, rotors, calipers, and pads, along with new lines, master cylinder, and booster. Im keeping the same stock wheels and dont really wanna mess around with the ride height (all of the knuckles I've been finding drop the ride height 2"). Im also looking to do a disc conversion on the rear. Talking to some friends, they recommended I get 4 piston calipers on the front, and 2 piston on the back. Again having trouble finding the parts I need, if anyone has any suggestions Id really appreciate it! Not looking to take it to the track or anything crazy.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I did a complete brake job on my 70 last year. I looked around quite a bit and wound up sourcing just about everything on Amazon using new AC Delco parts. Did buy a rebuilt brake booster to be assured of getting one that fit right and rebuilt the front calipers to keep the originals.

djorgensen3

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2009
Peoria, Az
Or look on Ebay for Wilwood D52 for the front (from Speedway Motors) and then an S10 conversion on the rear. I think PTFB has new spindles for a good price. I can't recall for sure though.

Mike700

Aug 9, 2021
Sounds good, thank you! I was looking at PTFB but their website seems a little sketchy, are they trustworthy?

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Sounds good, thank you! I was looking at PTFB but their website seems a little sketchy, are they trustworthy?

Absolutely. They are a dedicated second gen business and Dave the owner knows his stuff, hands down, no BS. I bought parts from him during my build and got what I paid for in both quality and timeline.

I just ordered more parts yet again from PTFB.com.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
I swapped in some 96 impala spindles and iroc rotors on the front of my 81 then s-10 blazer rears even though my bird was OEM 4 wheel disc. The original stuff sucked on it's best day. Hardest part so far was swapping the metric studs from 12 mm to 7/16 as I had to cut the new studs -.150" shorter so they do NOT bottom out in my lug nuts. Drilling the .563 holes is simple IF you have a drill press. (BTW yes the proper drill size is .563 NOT .547 as some have posted on the internet)

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
why are you replacing the front knuckles? I have a set (stock 11" rotor) to get rid of.

Mike700

Aug 9, 2021
That sounds aweosme, but I definitely dont have the equipment needed for that. The knuckles are just really old and gross, I guess I could clean them up but since Im already gonna be in there and have everything off Id like to replace them with a new set. Could you post some pics of the ones you have?

Latest posts