brake upgrades and opinions

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Rumpity_z28, May 10, 2021.

1. Rumpity_z28

Rumpity_z28 Veteran Member

Hey guys, I.m looking for some opinions on different brake upgrades. who has run 4 or 6 piston calipers and was it worth the cost. Whats a reasonable rotor size with out going over the top for a street driven car. I'm think of running a max wheel size of 17". thnx guys

2. streak

streak Member

6 piston is definitely overkill for a street car unless you want the look. Not every wheel has the same internal clearance for calipers so it is good to have an idea of wheel choice first. Tire selection and pad choice have more to do with brake fade and braking distance than rotor diameter, in most cases, until you get into track use and need a giant heat sink to avoid brake fade until the next straight when quality vanes and metallurgy can shed heat with airflow.

Custom Works has a good budget friendly kit as one choice. http://www.customworksperformance.net/brakes.html

G72Zed likes this.
  3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fun street car? The easiest way to limit the debate is BUDGET.....HOW MUCH MONEY ARE YOU ALLOCATING FOR BRAKES?
    That 1 limiting factor will decide how big, how much brake you get. There are hundreds of ways to set up a Fbody and money is the root of all of them. 17" wheels will allow you to put ALOT of stuff in there but brakes must be balanced. 13" rotors on the front with drums in the back is kinda.....not the best plan...

So determine your REAL budget then i'm sure you will get many replies

4. flybye70ss

flybye70ss Veteran Member

I got the 4 piston Wilwoods. The best thing about them is the complete aluminum hub that sheds SERIOUS weight from the corners in addition to the braking. The rotors are not too big (looks small imo) but the car stops great and it did not break the bank at $800 for the kit.

cadillac_al likes this.
  5. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I like and have used the C5 Corvette front brakes on a number of projects. They work well and you can get parts just anywhere. Huge selection of brake pads to choose from. I bought the front C5 kit from Custom Works. Fit very good. Rear is 97 Camaro and I modded the bracket fit the 10 bolt. The 97 Camaro parking brake is not the best in the world but I'm running an auto so it's just not as important as a manual. If I had a manual I would use 2002 Camaro parking brakes that has the internal drum brake style.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Streak, you make some very good solid points in your post, and that's coming from a guy with a "street" car with 6 piston brakes (but I track it as well).

7. streak

streak Member

I'm very much a track rat but do it in a 5th gen camaro. You get real good real fast at rebuilding brakes on those because they're such heavy unibody cars despite my full track brake setup (cooling ducts/6-pistons/14.6" rotor/track pads).

I would also add brake fluid is an often overlooked point. People spend big on brake systems and then buy the $4 bottle of garbage generic DOT3 from Pep Boys and wonder why their pedal feels like mashed potatoes after 2 stops. High quality name brand DOT4 should always be used. The crap I use is $70 a bottle but overkill for 99.999%.

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

FWIW I went with all Wilwood for my brakes, 1972 Z28 using the stock front spindle. Front 6P, radial mount with 12.88 slotted rotors, and for the rear used their 4P lug mount 12 bolt with Big Ford ends, 12.19 rotor with internal parking brake. Matched this up with a 7/8 tandem master and adjustable prop valve, manual brakes.

This setup fits inside my 17F-18R rims, and the rears fits inside a 15x10 Weld rim that I have slicks on as well. Cost was OK, but up here with exchange and taxes adds up quick. OK pad selection, I have used BP10-20-30, experimental and Hawk HPS and HP+. Been using 570-600 fluid. I stick with one manufacturer.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

[QUOTE="streak, post: 3847962, member: 94557"I would also add brake fluid is an often overlooked point. People spend big on brake systems and then buy the $4 bottle of garbage generic DOT3 from Pep Boys and wonder why their pedal feels like mashed potatoes after 2 stops. High quality name brand DOT4 should always be used. The crap I use is $70 a bottle but overkill for 99.999%.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree with you more streak, the 1 time I got lazy and did not change my brake fluid, I could not make it to the end of my session, that was the first time I got the ice pedal/fade...ticked me off as I know better, but got complacent, that's not happening again!!!

Some of the best fluid up hear is 100-125 bucks a bottle. I use the Wilwood 570, now 600. Maybe looking at upgrading, what do you like using ??

streak likes this.
  10. streak

streak Member

I could not agree with you more streak, the 1 time I got lazy and did not change my brake fluid, I could not make it to the end of my session, that was the first time I got the ice pedal/fade...ticked me off as I know better, but got complacent, that's not happening again!!!

Some of the best fluid up hear is 100-125 bucks a bottle. I use the Wilwood 570, now 600. Maybe looking at upgrading, what do you like using ??[/QUOTE]
    Castrol SRF is the best I've found/used. The Wilwood you mention and Motul RBF660 work well but not quite as good. Although I know a number of corvette guys who don't have an issue with them; but I'm heavier and late brake. I have to flush it after every track weekend because it seems like it fails after 1.5 track weekends in my car. But 1.5 bottles of fluid is cheaper than losing out on the cost of a weekend. Now if I can just get a tire sponsor...

G72Zed likes this.