Break-in oil

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Dennis Wilkie, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Veteran Member

I just rebuilt an L98 in my 1992 K1500, and I put brand new 4.000 pistons and 5.700 rods, and it already had a Comp Cams 203/212 kit already broken in with it. I just dropped it back in and i'm within a couple days of starting it back up. This is my first rebuild and had very little mechanical knowledge before I got this truck a year ago, but I know everything there is to know about it now. But, I was running 15w-50 because of a substantial loss of oil pressure before the rebuild. But now, I don't know where to begin with the weight, or if I should even use break-in oil. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Roller cam?

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Break in oil isnt just for the cam, I would recommend using it. It will protect the cam and other metal/metal surfaces but will also help with piston ring sealing.

OFLHLG likes this.
  4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Most crate engine builders will recommend conventional 10W-30 initially. Like said above, is this a roller cam setup? It's possible to reuse mechanical lifters if they're put back on the same lobe. Even then, they need a generous coat of lube, but you don't need the 20 min break in run on the engine. Good luck on your rebuild.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Most crate engine builder run the engines before they send them out to you and alot even engine dyno it....break in is not required. This would be the OPs first run on it after being rebuilt? I would NOT say put 10W/30 in it and go. It needs to be properly broken in.

6. slamdik

slamdik Member

budro6968 likes this.
  7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

https://shop.oilextreme.com/ This is the stuff that was used. Interesting. So some Combo synthetic/Conventional walmart oil with low zinc is just fine for break in? I assume If you used some type of assembly lube. I remember being told to use STP oil treatment for prelube.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used Joe Gibbs break in oil on FT engines.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Be it a conventional FT or roller cam, a good "break in" oil will not hurt anything, many good ones out there, Driven BR30 is just one of them. After 2-300 miles with the Break in oil, switch to your preferred brand of oil. This will depend if it's a FT or Roller cam.

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Lots of information for sure, all great, well one could argue that point. Read carefully. Not going down this rabbit hole.