brick and mortar stores

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
O'Reilly, Advance, AutoZone, and NAPA all give me a 10% Military discount. DO like going on line and finding my part, see if it is stock near me, and then ensuring I get the right part when I stop in. I find the auto parts store on line inventory is pretty accurate. Concerning on line inventory, Lowes inventory has been one of the worst places; 5 in stock! nope....

Budz

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 17, 2002
Ashburn, Va USA
Advance Auto now for basic needs, because it's literally a block from my house.

I guess this is NAPA now, but this old "brick and mortar" store/machine shop was my go-to place BITD (Mid 1970s). Parts upstairs, machine shop downstairs. Been there at least 50 years now, and still looks like it did when I was in high school :bowtie::bowtie::bowtie::bowtie:
Fairfax Auto Parts (NAPA) Lee Hwy.PNG

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
There used to be a Red Rooster near me and they had a machine shop in back.

Ownership and name has changed and the machine shop is gone. :(

Cman

Dec 7, 2013
New York
For me, it depends what it is. Mostly online orders but I like to support the local old school parts houses when I can. They have more value to me than the national chains.
I recently walked into a NAPA and asked for "points and plugs". They had no idea what I was talking about.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
There used to be a Red Rooster near me and they had a machine shop in back.

Ownership and name has changed and the machine shop is gone. :(
I remember that place, store was great but the machine shop sucked with Jeff running it. Lots of failed machining using that shop, some of their machine work cost me an engine back in '98.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
I remember that place, store was great but the machine shop sucked with Jeff running it. Lots of failed machining using that shop, some of their machine work cost me an engine back in '98.

If you guys need machine work done these days it’s more than worth the drive down to St. Peter to Twisted Motorsports.
Jake does extremely good work, not afraid to take on oddball projects, and charges a reasonable shop rate.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
If you guys need machine work done these days it’s more than worth the drive down to St. Peter to Twisted Motorsports.
Jake does extremely good work, not afraid to take on oddball projects, and charges a reasonable shop rate.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind next time I need machine work done.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I'm trying to still go to the stores, but more and more I'm finding them OUT of even the simple stuff. Like Ultra Black silicone. How the hell can they be out of this? So yeah....screw them and it's Amazon time for me.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
I have a couple good parts "guys" that don't even try to question what I want.....can you get # vbnjui876545? how much how long? other than that I order everything I can online...whats NEEDED NOW.....who ever has it ...cause NONE of them have "PARTS GUYS" ....like back in the "OLD DAYS".....lol