Bristol $100k No Prep race final rd

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by muscl car, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the cars aren't safe to run the full 1/4, maybe they shouldn't be on the track to start with??

I'm sorry to seem so negative, but 1/4 mile racing has always been the standard.... 1/8 mile and 1000' racing just seems so wrong to me..... someone can say that their car runs 7.0 in the 1/8th and I have no idea what that equates to.

Kind of like the metric system, I have trouble equating kilograms to pounds and celsius to fahrenheit...... if God intended a metric system, there would have only been 10 apostles.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Chevrolaine likes this.
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The main reason why the 1/8th mile tracks came about is do to insurance companies wanting so much $$$ for liability insurance for 1/4 mile track

Being that it's 660ft shorter , this made the insurance companies happier . Also land values come into play as it is much cheaper to build an 1/8th mile track including shut down distance than to build a 1/4 mile facility

The main reason for NHRA to go to 1000' was from Scott Kalitta's fatal crash .Again the insurance companies forced the change

Smokey15 likes this.
  3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i'll take a stab here that your 60' times aren't quite what you would like them to be as 1/8 mile runs are ALL about traction management.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

/\/\ Those are the facts. We all would prefer 1/4 mile racing, but 1/8th is better than not at all or slowing them down. How many like NAPCAR?

5. PaRoadDawg

PaRoadDawg Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That caught my eye as well.

6. Mike N

1.42 60' time. 3600 lb car, footbrake and I launch from a dead idle. 31" tire and only 4.10 gears..... I'd say it's a decent 60' time.

7. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

So insurance companies want shorter tracks and slower speeds because it's safer but they'll allow 200 people to stand on the track in the staging/starting line area? Ya, makes sense.:brightide
    About as retarded as 1/8 mile racing.:screwup:

8. manifoldsrme

manifoldsrme Veteran Member

I've never met a real racer ever that said, "I sure wish we could run slower, I am scared and want to be safer." Unless his name was SALLY.

9. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I love all the crap that gets stirred up every time a street outlaws race gets posted. Down here in Texas we've been running 1/8 mile since the beginning of time. I've never questioned it. There used to be an 1/8 mile strip in every little town or within driving distance in every little town. To each is their own, if you don't like 1/8 mile racing don't participate.

When did 1/4 mile become standard? I've heard folklore from some of the old heads about 1/2 mile being the standard once upon a time. Seems like the faster the cars get the more shutdown time is required, so the tracks get shorter. Seems logical to me.

We can argue 1/4, 1/2, 1/8 mile all day long and not accomplish anything. Fact is, we all support our local racing venues, we all support our hobby and we all support keeping it off our streets.

muscl car and Smokey15 like this.
  10. Mike N

1/8th mile tracks?? So much for everything being big in Texas :D

When was the last time you saw a magazine or manufacturer post an 1/8th mile time for a car's performance spec?

Chevrolaine likes this.