Budget 350

TAZZ 1

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2020
Gaston N.C
Ok trying to work this all out today, I pulled another Balancer off a 350 I had at the shop. This one will line up but is not as wide. I think it's for the short water pump, mine has the long pump. So will my fan belt line up

Attachments

• Timing pointer.jpg
    Timing pointer.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 11

2ndGenCrazy

Veteran Member
Aug 18, 2011
Upstate New York
Little 350 project is moving along thought I would share a few pics. The intake just came back for powder coat and looks factory, I told them I did not want it very shiny. The little GM box's hold good old gm lifters.
I want to mention something to be careful of. I had a manifold on a build that was powdercoated. They blasted it before they coated it without flushing/cleaning the interior plenum and runners first. The sand is very fine and you need to rub your fingers on the surfaces to notice that there is sand in all of the pores of the casting. The outside was perfect and the inside coated with fine sand. I was very pissed off to say the least. The old saying is the builder is always responsible to check everything they assemble. Don't assume that the powdercoater isn't an idiot.

TAZZ 1

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2020
Gaston N.C
So today trying work decide which balancer to use. I placed both balancers on the bench one has a wider ring but overall same height. The black balancer is the one that was on the motor when I got it. Again, this is not the correct motor for the car someone had been drag racing it. I this not most interesting motor subject but if I help someone else it's worth it. I will be going with the orange one.

Attachments

• balancer.jpg
    balancer.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 5

TAZZ 1

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2020
Gaston N.C
I want to mention something to be careful of. I had a manifold on a build that was powdercoated. They blasted it before they coated it without flushing/cleaning the interior plenum and runners first. The sand is very fine and you need to rub your fingers on the surfaces to notice that there is sand in all of the pores of the casting. The outside was perfect and the inside coated with fine sand. I was very pissed off to say the least. The old saying is the builder is always responsible to check everything they assemble. Don't assume that the powdercoater isn't an idiot.
Thanks, I did bead blast it myself, but I will for sure be checking it.

TAZZ 1

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2020
Gaston N.C
Yes that is it, I mocked it up today. I have just been trying figure what they had done whey the changed motors. I do know the motor that was in the car is a 1973 truck motor 4 bolt main with 041 x heads a rowdy cam

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
but --- do the stars align
is piston #1 truly at TDC when the damper's groove aligns with timing tab's zero mark ?

and --- since this project is Not a sbc400 --- do ensure the chosen "stray" damper does Not have any apparent counterbalance.

Latest posts