Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm really happy with the megasquirt but I'm fortunate to have my brother help me with a lot of it though. The flexability is awesome but it was/is very intimidating at times. He's been building and installing them since the early 2000's and also has an electrical/programming background to go with being a fantastic mechanic so I'm constantly getting an education and guidance with my set up. If you need help don't hesitate to pm me. He likes sharing his knowledge and I think he would be willing to read through challenges and write something up to help guide you through it. It does take a while to go through and get the cold start and fuel tables all set up. The data logs will be invaluable for going through and seeing what the motor is doing and what needs adjusting. Once you get comfortable with it though I think you'll be extremely happy.

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks. I down loaded VE live tuning, oh man what a difference that made. Worth every penny of the $59. I wasted a full day playing around with the idle...and within minutes of the download, I was idling at an afr of 13.3-13.5 instead of 10.5-11.2

3. hoppin5478

Awesome, I'm glad you were able to get that ironed out. The Megasquirt has a steep learning curve but I think it's well worth it. If your interested my brother makes a a logger we have been testing for a while that plugs in through the serial port and works with megalogviewer. It's better than using the onboard SD card slot because he has cool features like time stamping the logs and you don't have to convert the files to read them on megalogviewer. It works off an SD card as well so you can just pull out the SD card to put in your laptop for reviewing logs. If your interested let me know and I'll see if I can have him build you one for free and you can do some testing as well. We probably have 7 or 8 vehicles running them with no issues now but it never hurts to have it in all kinds of environments. Also if you need help or run in to issues you can always send me logs and I can ask him to look them over. He has become a really prolific tuner. I'm excited to see your project come together and it performs for you. I love my turbos!

4. hoppin5478

Out enjoying a car show with my Dad.

20180804_182246.jpg

Attached Files:

roadrace2 likes this.
  5. hoppin5478

It's been a while as I have to many projects and not enough time. Unfortunately I forgot to put my truck in neutral and it rolled back in to the Camaro. It wouldn't have done any damage but the hitch caught the bumper and put a relatively small scrape on it. I think I'm going to pull the front bumper and repaint it. I've been driving it fairly regularly and still working the bugs out of it. My wideband started dropping the signal a couple days ago so I'm going to have to check the wiring and sensor. Hopefully after that I'll get the water injection up and running but I need to work out a couple other bugs first. I love driving it and for the most part it has worked really well.

6. hoppin5478

I can't believe how long it's been since I've worked on the Camaro or even pulled it out to drive. Last weekend I finally decided too and went to a small show with my Dad. I try to enjoy as many of these with him as I can, life's too short. I walked away totally flattered taking 1st place in the judges choice. It was a small show but none the less there were some nice cars out there so I was really proud. Time to get some motivation and finish some of the lingering stuff I need to address and maybe a 6 speed swap. Stay tuned.....

7. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Veteran Member

good to hear man congratz

8. JY78Z28

JY78Z28 New Member

I just read the entire thread and am beyond impressed with the dedication, ingenuity and hard work that was put into this car. Above and beyond doesn’t begin to describe the detail that went into this. Loved the autobot logo too! Very fitting. I picked up a 78 Z that I found in a pasture a month ago and drove it for the first time yesterday. Hope it looks half as good as yours someday. Thanks for all the photos, info and ideas.

9. hoppin5478

Thank you, I appreciate the compliments. Life happens and it's been on hold for a little bit but hopefully I'll be back at it soon. I look forward to looking at your thread.

10. hoppin5478

Well, its been a while since I've been on and the car has pretty much sat covered since. With much regret I've decided to put it up for sale. Hopefully once I sell it and things settle down I can pick up another, earlier 2nd gen and be back even better.