Budget horsepower?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Abz28_79, May 29, 2020.

1. Abz28_79

Abz28_79 New Member

Me and my dad recently got a project 1979 z28 it’s an automatic I’m asking for any tips/advise to increase the power of the stock motor or any performance upgrades that will make a difference to the feel of the muted motor I’ve heard that changing the heads will make more power but at 82,000 miles I don’t know if it’s even worth it. Thank you.

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Intake / carb swap

Headers with newer free flowing exhaust

3. Abz28_79

Abz28_79 New Member

Thanks for the advise do you recommend shorty headers or long tubes?

muscl car likes this.
  4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I myself like long tubes but for your Camaro it's all dependent on if your Camaro is lowered then you might end up with clearance issues running long tubes

5. Abz28_79

Abz28_79 New Member

I don’t plan on lowering it right now maybe later on but I’m going to stick with the stock ride hight right now so I’ll look into going with long tubes thanks

muscl car likes this.
  6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Intake .headers true dual exhaust .and tune your carb for it is a start.You can even make you hood scoop functional as well.

7. Abz28_79

Abz28_79 New Member

So how can I make it functional I know it only for style but do I just hacksaw it?

8. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

I am a big fan of “free” horsepower, the things that don’t necessarily cause your engine to work harder but reduce parasitic loss. Electric fans help substantially over the old stamped steel fans. I will have to find the write up again but the stamped steel fans were like 25-30 horsepower. Flex-lite mechanical fans were in the 10 horse range. Also lower gears is the best seat of the pants performance upgrade price wise. Just my .02

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There was an Hot Rod magazine article that shows you how to do so .Just Google "How to make a 1979 Z-28 hood scoop functional .And then go to the Nasty Z-28 article "Functional hood scoop " It has a lot of information on how to do .With suggestions from other members as well. I have a 1979 Z-28 also and when I started modifying my car ..I did this modification to it.And if you have any further questions I as well as others can help you .Good luck .

Abz28_79 likes this.
  10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The factory catalytic converter on those cars was junk when they were new. Assuming that's still in place, replacing that with a modern cat is your single biggest bang for the buck.
    From there, I'm putting an advance kit in the factory HEI.

jeff swisher likes this.