Build Sheet and trim tag

loschatz

Oct 31, 2022
I have an 81 Camaro Z-28. Car was built in Norwood and exported to Canada for sale. I have the build sheet and thanks to Nasty Z28 website, have deduced nearly everything on the build sheet and trim tag. Three things remain a mystery to me.
On the build sheet there is a typed entry in box 58. "ECM" is typed in and below it are two stars and two dashes "**--". What does this mean? I am guessing it could be an emissions control module as these cars did have them however cars exported to Canada did not always come with them installed on 350 engines. In literature I read these cars had control computers which effected carb function and transmission lockups (second, third gears) but were not called ECM's but rather CCC's.... however they could be the same thing? The fact there are two stars and dashes in the same text box is confusing as I have no idea what that means?
Secondly is a code on the trim tag. I cannot find reference to it in numerous searches. The dashboard and steering column colour code of my car is S12. The dash and steering column are blue in my car. Since the vehicle was build in Norwood, the three digit code is normal but literature I have reviewed illustrates it was usually BLK etc and not a number and digit mix.
Last question deals with the trim tag as well. My car has an interior trim code of 15V. 15 indicates silver and I assume the V should mean vinyl but I cannot actually find reference to this code combination on any website. Vinyl is often denoted by the letter R or N depending if it is custom or standard vinyl. Any help in this would be appreciated.

carnut4life

Apr 2, 2016
Beacon, IA
loschatz, You are correct about the ECM code on your build sheet. Since it was a Canadian sold vehicle it wasn't required to have the same emissions equipment as a US sold car. My Canadian sold 350 4 speed Z28 has the same thing in box 58 of the build sheet.

I can't help you with the V interior code but I do know 15 is the number for silver interior and most cars built with silver interior came with a blue dash, steering column, kick panels and console. If you go through all the options on the build sheet should be able to tell which interior the car was built with. My son and I are restoring a bright blue 81 Z28 with silver deluxe vinyl interior so I'd love to hear more about your car. What is the original color of your Z28?

biker

Veteran Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Mine is a Canadian car built in Van Nuys, so this may not be much help, but I've attached my build sheet. Red car, red seats, carpet and headliner, black console, dash and column.
20221022_085537.jpg

loschatz

Oct 31, 2022
loschatz, You are correct about the ECM code on your build sheet. Since it was a Canadian sold vehicle it wasn't required to have the same emissions equipment as a US sold car. My Canadian sold 350 4 speed Z28 has the same thing in box 58 of the build sheet.

I can't help you with the V interior code but I do know 15 is the number for silver interior and most cars built with silver interior came with a blue dash, steering column, kick panels and console. If you go through all the options on the build sheet should be able to tell which interior the car was built with. My son and I are restoring a bright blue 81 Z28 with silver deluxe vinyl interior so I'd love to hear more about your car. What is the original color of your Z28?
My car, is and was originally white with the grey stripe package. I have been able to track down the owner who performed the restoration and to my surprise he had pictures of it torn down and stripped. He told me it required very little work as floor pans and door panels were in really good shape. Registration records indicate it was parked (or atleast not registered) for 16 years (between 1992 and 1997 and then again between the years 2001 and 2012). I attached a pic if you're interested. It shows well, and is fun to drive, albiet I would not take it on a long excursion!!

Attachments

• Camaro.JPG
    Camaro.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 28

biker

Veteran Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Beautiful. Love the stock look with the body colour wheels. My stock wheels look good, but they have a mild vibration, so I went with a similar style, but I miss the red.

Latest posts