Building the 540.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Plant Engineer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I got a little too happy with the 496/265 AFR combo that was in my Camaro. When Scat says 700 HP limit they mean it. Anyway that one is repairable but I'm building a 540 because I know myself and my foot is very heavy. Most of the parts are in so its build time. Yay. Street build for occasional races. I prefer the drag strip dyno to engine or chassis dyno's cause there aint no fooling the number you get from trap speed vs weight. The 496 had 620 HP on the ground . Looking for 700 HP on the ground plus maybe a wee bit more from Nitrous. 10 flat give or take. anyway....

Dart 4.500" block.
    Mahle 13 CC dome pistons for 10.3:1 ish compression.
    Scat H beams with 2000 bolts
    Manley 4.25" forged crank
    AFR 225's with the 121 CC cnc chamber upgrade straight out of the box
    The same Straub solid roller I was using in the 496. 264/271 @ .050" net lift in the mid to high .600's off the top of my head.
    Only running a 950 Holley clone with a vic jr. Great running carb actually but a bit undersized for big power numbers I know.

Pretty standard fare for a 540 . Looking for street diveability and brutish reliability above raw HP numbers .

And the build begins. Paint is drying right now.

[​IMG]

2. Plant Engineer

That Dart stuff just brings a smile to your face.

[​IMG]

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Did you remember to get the valley head studs prepped when you ordered the heads???

4. Plant Engineer

Ive been trying to figure out the valley head studs period. Not sure ARP even makes the reduced shank bolts any more.

5. mrdragster1970

They absolutely did last summer.
    You can also use a rocker stud, I will have to find the part number.

When I lost one of mine, I just bought the replacements from Dart.

I was just making sure you know how critical that hole is. It must be exact, or it won't fit in the slot.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Nice build, I have not decided if I will go 540 yet, have to see what my other 468 runs first. Like you 10.0 is the best you can go without a NHRA license. You are right about the scat cranks, I know of someone else broke their scat crank and he was only at 625hp but he did pull a lot of RPM out of the 454 7800rpm so it sheet the bed. Ya your carb and intake will be a touch small but if you plan on any street driving it will be a lot happier with it over the bigger stuff. Keep us posted on your build.

7. Plant Engineer

I see dart does make , or at least sell, the inner bolts but at $95 for four bolts if theres an alternative I'd love to hear about it. Ouch.

Yeah, Itll be 90%+ on the street. If I can ever get my fitech 1200 to work worth a damn I'll try that too.

8. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

700 at the wheels is a solid 800 or more at the crank. You will need a lot more than 10.3:1 and the cam you have to make that number. You will probably won't even make 700 at the crank with what you have. You will need a cam that is going to want to be shifted at about 7000 and that will require closer to 280 degrees @.050. I would say that even conservative you would want about 275 @ .050. Big Chevys like lift and if you are going to get a new cam then go for about .720" lift. There are plenty of lobes in that range that are soft enough to be reliable. A cam with those numbers will want something along the lines of 11:1 or even a little more compression. For the street you need good lifters no matter what cam you run. At the minimum you will need lifters with pressurized oil feeding the roller bearings. Going bigger while keeping the same top end and cam usually doesn't make much more power,it makes close to the same power but at a lower rpm. Power comes from airflow and that requires bigger heads,carb,and camshaft lift and duration.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  9. Plant Engineer

Last time out at the track the tech guy opened my hood and said "what will it run?" I said ..."don't know havent run it before but I'm calling it 10.7 at 127 MPH. " He laughed and said "sure buddy good luck". 3800 lbs with me in it. Ran 10.78 at 128.
    The 496 with 265 AFR's was 700 HP ish at the crank. Heres my educated guess from 25 years as a mechanical engineer, 35 years building engines , dynoing and racing cars. Only thing the same being the cam ( with Morel pressure fed solid rollers) , manifold and carb. Peak power with the old cam just south of 7000 on the 496 with a board flat torque curve. It'll shift down a bit with the same cam and the compression drop of 1/2 point isnt going to do much but it will allow me to bump the timing a bit which will help top end. It does no good to shift at peak HP RPM anyway. Better to overshoot a few hundred RPM into a slightly lesser range than it is to shift down into a much lower range from peak . Same converter although it'll stall a bit earlier with the extra torque. 7% or so better airflow from the AFR 325's ( although I feel the 265's on a 540 would flow better than you might think ) . Big difference being a freshly installed transbrake that will help out the ET immensely doing nothing for top end. I havent been able to power brake past 1500 RPM even with the rear disks.

10.4 or possibly better at 132 MPH +/- 1 MPH . That would be just at 680 HP on the ground. I personally don't believe it is a true linear percentage curve on flywheel to RHP . The 20% parasitic loss rule is horse pucky. There is no good valid reason why a rollerized TH400 and a Dana 60 will take 80HP to run on a 400 HP engine but the same components take 160 HP to run on an 800 HP engine.

1979 Camaro dolled out as a '70. Full 4 link tuned with absolutely perfect weight transfer and chassis setup
    4.10:1 Dana 60 with spool
    Home built TH400 800 ft/lb capacity
    Edge Racing 3400 flash stall converter probably 3200 now.
    10 point cage
    coil over front and back springs . 150lb rear, 300lb front.
    racing with 12x29 relatively hard compound slicks.

We will see in about two weeks. Good chance I'll have it ready for the last run of the year on the 15th . In AFR we Trust.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  10. mrdragster1970

I'll try & find that part number, but since the damn tombstone was lost, I didn't want to dick around trying to make one or stacking washers.

Your car might not like that heavy spring on the rear, 2 of mine didn't and they have 110's.
    I was taught you want the lightest spring that will hold the car up, and let the shock control both directions of travel??