Building the 540.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Plant Engineer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

That is absolutely true and I had to recheck my springs and they are 120's. I was thinking of the 150-180 variable's I took off there. The car leaves the line with almost zero wheel spin and doesnt throw the front up up at all. I'm very pleased with the chassis setup and it will be good well into the 9's.

This was a car that my dad started building a decade or so ago. . He had set it up with a 9 inch and ridiculously heavy springs up front as in cut down 600's. The 496 was suited to his slow driving style and I had done some work to tailor it to my driving style and I'll be the first to admit life begins at 6000 RPM in my world. The 540 will be more suited to my foot to the floor "come on baby" style.

[​IMG] .

2. Plant Engineer

Had to go to the state fair today so didnt get a lot done. Manley crank is in and so is the cam installed straight up. Filing rings tomorrow. Yay.[​IMG] .

3. Plant Engineer

Ive got the roller button installed from the previous build but we'll see if its the right thickness when I get the cover on. Had to turn a lot off the button to get proper end play but the new block may be different. Cheap chinese cover with extra metal added to the inside instead of the outside. Silly Chinese. Using a Lunati Torrington roller cam gear.

Slight edit on the cam specs. 267/271@.050" .418"/.390" Lift at the cam on 108's.

.025" clearance on the forward mains. .023" on the rear according to my trusty Starrett dial bore gauge. Ive used Scat stuff for years and swear by their forged cranks but this Manley prepped Chinese forged internally balanced crank is really a beautiful piece. The shop took so little metal off in the balancing process I feel robbed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  4. Plant Engineer

Cutting rings and installing rods and pistons today. Man, Those Mahle oil rings suck to install. Anyway going for street clearances on the rings .026" on top and .016" 2nd.

While I was putting this stuff together today I was looking at my fresh AFR's and thinking about the bad old days when you had to take your heads to a local head porter who may or may not have known what he was doing . I just remember so many times hanging out with those idiots running the dyno listening to them bitch about their wifes and ex wives and knowing full well they were snorting half the profits up their noses. 3 months and $1200 later if you were lucky you got your heads back . MAYBE they flowed what the porter said they flowed but they were almost hogged out WAY bigger than the heads we can buy off the shelf now so you had to use a giant cam to get the air moving , fuel was falling out of suspension and revs were to the moon to get it to work. Now we can buy off the shelf CNC cut heads designed by guys with advanced degrees in fluid dynamics that flow 400 CFM with 315 CC ports at .700" and they are as uniform as is possible. It amazes me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I cannot see why that Camaro should not run a 9sec. time in that car with a 540. IMO and this is just me, I would most likely drop then gear down in my car to 3.73 with all the tq. the 540 will make or go to a P/G as it will settle the car down and not so violent on the launch, that's why I don't like turbo 400's with big engines. 10.40's should be within reach as long as the car goes well in the 1/8 mile. Heck I went 10.04@136 with my old pump gas 358 on a 200 shot, you will be making more than I had in that car. Wish I could muster up the extra bucks I would buy your other AFR heads. Got to find someone to buy my 990's first.

6. Plant Engineer

If I were to abandon the somewhat ridiculous pretense that this is a street car I'd drop a 4500 stall converter in it , leave the slicks on it or go bigger ( its fully tubbed ) and run 9's. Problem is I like driving it around town. People go crazy when they see this thing pull up next to them. Old ladies say mean things ( seriously, they yell obscenities at me ) , poor bastards in minivans give me thumbs up, cops give me thumbs up , girls show their tits, its just fun to drive. Its LOUD and in your face . My neighbors hate my guts .

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Dave Nelson likes this.
  7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

My crew chief ran his 9.40's car on the street, but he lives way out, and they are used to hicks with loud cars & trucks.
    5500 stall and tunnel ram with slicks.
    He didn't go far, just Dairy Queen or picking up a pizza.
    He also ran cheap 100LL, so it wasn't that bad with 13 or 14-1.

He has a lift, so it's very quick to do the exhaust.

It's possible to run a full race car on the street, but it's pretty hard on valve train with the springs we need for big rollers.

8. Plant Engineer

Yeah I ran a 13:1 Dart block 438 inch small block Ford with AFR 225's and a single dominator in a 3800 lb '68 cougar for years on the street with a 4000 stall ( Through a home built C4 !!! ) .. About the same cam specs going into the Camaro 540. Ran well with 1/2 LL and half premium unleaded. Ran 9.90's at 137 MPH on 125 shot of Nitrous and that car would run 10.1's all week long on a 100 shot. . I'd expect similar if not a little bit better performance out of the 540.

I MIGHT be able to fit a Dominator under the hood with a Holley Strip Dominator manifold. Maybe. My roller is pretty mild by solid roller standards . I'm even going to downgrade the springs a bit in the 325's a bit before I bolt them up.

9. Plant Engineer

At a hold point on this one. Broke one ring on installation of the last piston so I had to order a single ring set from Mahle through Summit. We'll see how fast they respond but I'm not holding my breath.

I picked up a Pro Systems 1050 "Little Monster" carb for it. Patrick at pro systems says it will do almost everything a 1050 dominator will do with maybe a 10 HP difference . We'll see. No way I can get a Dominator to clear the hood with or without a filter without some serious milling to a Super Victor manifold .

I also spent some quality time with Fitech today and they suggested a fix for my cutting out issue. Once I'm able to make it to the track I'll do some back to back efi vs carb testing on the 540.

10. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I forgot to mention, wheel spin is actually good.
    Controlled wheel speed is actually much quicker 60', I actually shot for ~1800.
    We never go for dead hook, even radial guys want a controlled launch.

Keep at it & good luck.