Building the 540.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Plant Engineer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

My 60 foot so far has been abysmal.1.6 seconds. I'd expect with the transbrake I'll see more in the 1.4 range and possibly into the 1.3 ish range with a 4000 stall if I do decide to go that route. . i also feel the cam was a bit large for the heads on the 496 given the converter and with the 540 and 325's it will be better sized throughout the RPM range.

I discovered the cause of the 496 failure which was a vent tube came off the carb and into the engine. I'm sending it back for a refund to summit and I am in talks with the manufacturer of said piece of poo. Picked up a pro systems 1050 so a little more airflow on the top end will be appreciated.

1980RS likes this.
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

WOW, that sucks about what made your 496 fail. I had a buddy who dropped one of the Holley base plate screws fall into an engine and that was the end of his day, I check them all the time now. Who's carb was it that the tube came off? looks like another thing to check.

3. Plant Engineer

A picture being worth a thousand words...I was having issues with my EFI and wanted a carb to throw on there for one race session before the season was up. 20 miles total on that carb... Yes, I know...

In any case I would like to add that Proform made it right. Looks like the casting cracked when the vent tube was pushed in. Straight out of the box no tuning whatsoever it ran 10.7's which I do consider somewhat impressive for a "nominal" 950 cfm carb. More like 850 would be my guess. In any case they paid for repairs and I didnt have to whine or cry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. Plant Engineer

Part of the everlasting joy that is AFR is putting the guide plates together. Lots of fun. Pushrods are close enough from my old 496 to use in the new motor. 8.450" and 9.500" . Also changed over to 1.8 ratio for a little more lift . Should get me in the .700" +/- .010" range at the valve after lash. My understanding is the higher ratio gains you a little more duration but I havent wrapped my head around why that would be the case much. In any case the valve springs that come with the AFR 325's are PAC 1.660's and are good for it. I did plunk down $95 for the tombstones and the 4 bolts which seems to me one of the sillier things Ive ever spent $100 on but when there are no other options it is what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  5. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

May I ask why so tight on the 2nd ring?

6. Plant Engineer

Mahle's recommendations and thats on the high side. 1.5 mm rings. Weird size.

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

your spending money in the right places, i dig the extra clamping force with the 4 extra studs and nuts...

8. Plant Engineer

The one ring set to replace the broken Mahle ring wont be in until Monday so I'm trying to find other stuff to do until then. If I had known these were non standard rings I wouldnt have gone with the Mahle set to begin with .
    In any case Ive got a AFR girdle coming in today. Some people swear by stud girdles and some say they don't do a damned thing. I am of the opinion that with high spring pressure they certainly can't hurt and in the lift range I'm running at and with the higher leverage 1.8 rockers and the somewhat short intake studs its probably a good idea to run them.

9. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

All solid rollers with 240-340 lb springs need a girdle/
    Maybe some little stuff don't, but before I switched all my engines to a Jessel, I never ran without a girdle!!!!!

10. Plant Engineer

Yeah, If the AFR compatible Jesels werent $1400 a set I'd probably do the same thing. I'll make do with the $300 girdles :) .