Building the 540.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Plant Engineer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Reminder to loctite the baseplate screws on your carb before they fall into engine and destroy your motor..............

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

You made the same mistake many guys do.
    What does a high quality rocker cost???
    High quality stud???
    Girdle, polylocks, piece of mind!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not that expensive to upgrade to the Jessel basic model.
    I use the Pro model because I spin my BBC's 8000-9000 plus.
    If I had a basic bracket engine I would not hesitate to use that cheaper set up.

Plus it's a frigging pain in the ass playing with the valves with the damn girdle.
    I used to make notes because some always change, and you have to cheat the damn gap to get it right once the girdle is on.

Good luck, and keep plugging away!!!

3. mrdragster1970

We never do that, everyone I know runs a safety, so it doesn't jack up the threads if you ever need to pull the blades.

4. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I dont run it that high. 7000 Max. Its a street car that races occasionally. ARP Studs come with the heads so "no cost" there . .700 ish lift with reasonable spring pressure at that lift and not anywhere near what youd consider race profile cam lobes. $320 for 1.8 rockers and $250 for AFR specific girdles and poly locks. Standard BBC shaft sets wont fit. The Jesel sportsman set for the AFR 24 degree heads starts at $1400. Ive got plenty of peace of mind with the AFR girdles and my setup. If I actually had a race car things would be different on a lot of fronts.

I did decide to increase the ring gap to .030" top and .027" second which is Mahles reccomended settings for race nitrous engines. I probably wont be hitting much more than 200 HP on the bottle . Just wasnt getting the warm fuzzies off the tighter ring gap.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. mrdragster1970

Good decision. A little loose doesn't lose that much HP, and it's much much safer when you start playing with N2O.
    I've seen photo's of the rings cutting into the piston from the heat, usually doesn't end well.

That's cheaper than I expected.
    A buddy just paid $500 for rockers and $400 for the girdle on his Dart 360's, plus he upgraded to a longer stud for the aluminum heads.
    I said the exact same thing to him, and he said he never had a shaft system before and never even thought of it.
    It's also a under 7500 engine, so no big deal.

I just really really hated running valves every race with the damn girdles, I'm sure they are much nicer now, than the old used crap I used to have.

Have fun, getting closer every day :)

6. Plant Engineer

The AFR's come with the long ARP studs on the 4 locations per head they can use them in. The others of course intersect the intake port so they are standard length.

I'm surprised the Dart girdles are that much. The AFR built girdles are well made pieces and fit their heads like a glove for a good price . Its the adjusters they nickel and dime you on.

7. mrdragster1970

I haven't seen the stuff yet.
    He's trying to build a back up engine because his good engine is taking forever to get final machine work done :(

8. Plant Engineer

Those are nice looking stud girdles. I dont know if they are any good but the look nice. Like most Dart stuff I'm sure they are well built. I'm sure if I put my fingers on a calculator I'd figure out that the AFR girdle set cost about the same by the time I bought the individual poly locks. Inn comparing the AFR and Dart units and having worked in manufacturing for a long time I'd be REALLY surprised if there wasnt some rebranding from both companies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  9. mrdragster1970

I would bet the farm on that.
    IIRC my Jomar looked exactly like several others my friends had with different names??
    I switched to Jessels about the time I hit 1100 HP.
    Like I said, anything to stop all the wasted time & aggravation when running valves was worth every penny.

10. Plant Engineer

Torquing down the lower head studs. My torque wrench is 12" from center of the square drive head to the center of the handle. With a 2 inch offset adapter ( 2nd time Ive used it in 20+ years ) it takes 43 lb/ft of registered torque to torque the nut to 50 lb/ft.

[​IMG]

Spend the rest of the day rewiring and attempting to shield my fitech system from errant signals. Fitrech says my irritating cutting out issue might be due to stray signals from my ignition so Ive moved my MSD box inside the cabin along with the coil and Ive fully shielded and grounded all my spark plug wires with braided coppernickel sheathing. If nothing else it will cut crossfiring out. If I continue to have fitech issues after this they are going to have some splainin' to do.

New ring coming in Monday. I stopped being cheap and picked up a 4.500" sized compressor instead of the pooty band style I had been using that helped me break a ring. Still shooting for a race next weekend but thats looking more like a pipe dream at this point. Tearing the transmission apart tomorrow to install a transbrake.