Building the 540.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Plant Engineer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

WOW, look at that professional!!!!
    I just use a long wrench on the valley studs.

Great decision, I've had my MSD & coil inside for at least 20 years.
    I prefer keeping crap off my electronics.

I use a heat sleeve on my wires, but I have carbs, so no signal issues.

Good luck & race safe!!!!

OH YEA, I love an orange block :D

2. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

Only reason Ive got the 12 point 7/16" offset adapter is that I used to build 100+ MPH Mercury V6 outboards and its the only way to torque the rod bolts.

Yeah Ive been fighting this fitech thing since i got it. I understand their point that it could be noise from the high voltage side but on the other hand they should have designed a system that isnt influence by secondary ignition noise. When it works it works wonderfully. Fuel/air is dead nuts on and throttle response is amazing. When it doesnt work its a total pain in the ass. The good thing about it is I can get it to work right it has total control of spark curve and nitrous activation/retard etc. At least with the shielding I'll get control of the crossfiring which is usually worse than you think it would be even with fat wires.

[​IMG]

3. Plant Engineer

540 Chevrolet.

Bolting up the transmission tomorrow and finishing up a bit of little things.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave Nelson likes this.
  4. Plant Engineer

Went a little faster than it usually does getting the engine back in yesterday. Looking good for a Sunday drag race.

[​IMG]

5. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Did you hear that? I thought I just heard a choir of angels singing.

Looks good, man. Real good. Like Tony Robbins good.

In all seriousness, that motor is going to ****ing rip. The more I think about it and watch your build, the more I know going with the bigger square ports was the right call.

6. Plant Engineer

Tony Robbins good? Can't ask for a better endorsement than that. Seriously, I busted a gut when I read that. And yeah, Its going to kick ass!

FWIW I still think the 265's would surprise the poo out of you on a 540.

7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

I agree. But just wait till the tach needle gets up into the far right hand part of the gauge. You'll start questioning if you have enough valve spring because it's gonna pull like a freight train on the top end. Prepare to raise your shift points on this thing, followed shortly by questioning if you should buy some steeper gears and bigger rear tires. You'll lose almost nothing on the bottom end, BTW.

If I'm wrong and it's a turd, I'll buy the heads off you for the full price you paid for them. Not kidding. Dead serious.

Obviously, please report back on results. You've done a better than average job documenting what you had before, what you're moving to, etc. It's the main reason I felt pretty comfortable the bigger heads would work really well on your new combo.

You're out the money but my reputation on this board of allegedly halfway knowing my poo is on the line here.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. Plant Engineer

Oh I'll have it fired Friday morning. Pissing the neighbors off who move to neighborhoods like mine to get away from people like me.
    Can't go any steeper than 4.10's and 29 inch tires otherwise I'm passing 7K through the traps which really isnt suited to the cam. Springs are PAC 1224's with 275 on the seat and 810 at 850 although at .700 its more like 650. Good for a street roller past 7000 anyway. Not too many weak spots in this engine. Dont want to go much taller in tires . This is a street car after all. 4.10 Dana 60 with a spool and 35 spline axles, turbo 400 reverse pattern with transbrake. You know...street stuff.

9. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

:D:p

10. Plant Engineer

Getting there...

[​IMG]