Butternut the Gumball Camaro

AEGIS43

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
So for the engine, much of the description is in my profile. But pictures are nice.

Cam card.jpg

SCAT 3.75 stroke kit (of course) with 5.7 rods. The block was already machined 0.040, so that's what makes it 385". 383s are mopars anyway. Pistons are SpeedPro hypereutectics.

piston w-rod.jpg

Those little "Fs" really threw us off, my buddy Larry and me. For the first 99% of humanity, when you saw an "F" on a piston that meant "front." Pistons are oriented in a block side to side and "F" meant that side of the piston faced forward in the block. Not on my set. What the F?

Bottom end.jpg

Side.jpg

Top end.jpg

Larry let me insert the cam. I actually have a YouTube video installing it. Hey, I'd never done it myself before. Gimme a break.

Can insert.jpg

Larry spray

Larry spray.jpg

Remember I said I didn't end up using the best intake. I had this thought that I want the ability to run Holley square bores AND QuadraJets. I don't know why I didn't think to just get an adapter spacer. We ended up having to use a spacer anyway to clear the linkage. But this is what I got - a regular Performer, not an RPM, AirGap. I think the intake ports on the manifold might be slightly smaller than the intake ports on the AFRs. If so, well, it's just a street car.

AirGap.jpg

Engine.2.jpg

Engine.1.jpg

Last edited:

AEGIS43

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Completed engine except I'm going to reterminate the spark plug wires so they're the exact length and install different wire looms to keep them off the headers. And change that breather cap to just an oil filler plug cap. PCV valve runs to port on carb spacer.

Also getting rid of the plug wire insulator boot thingys. That was just to protect the wires while it was on the run stand. This engine has been run. No dyno, though. I wish.

Engine Sept 2022 1.jpg

Engine Sept 2022 3.jpg

That air cleaner is just for looks. For driving it will have a regular round air cleaner. I wish someone would figure out how to manufacture a cloth K&N type filter for ProFlow air cleaners. I think they look so period correct and bitchin.

AEGIS43

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
So for the shoes. Obviously the real Gumball Camaro had Cragars. I suppose in 1975 aftermarket Goodyears (I'm guessing it had Goodyears) were still bias ply. There are screen grabs from the film earlier in the post and they look impressively wide for the day. Not N50 wide, but still wide.

I neglected to take better photos of the wheels in/or and boxes. Wasn't thinking.

Cragar.JPG

15x7 front and 15x10 rear. But Summit, at the time (maybe you still can), took orders for custom backspace. Standard backspace is 3.75" or 4.25". I have no idea why because that just makes them stick out the side of the car in an awkward way. I was able to get 5" backspace for the rear and I think I was lucky to nail it.

Immediately below no weight in the car. Looks like it's on stilts. We'll see once the engine is in it and a full tank of gas, and maybe after a month of driving around to see if it settle down on the suspension some.

Camaro33.jpg

Camaro30.JPG

Camaro40.jpg

BFG Radial T/A 235/60x15 and 295/50x15

Last edited:

Jas0n

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 27, 2010
Verona, ITALY
Love this thread that I have just finished reading right now. really sorry for your loss it is an unfillable void for sure.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Thought I'd share a couple pics from the day I bolted the steering linkage onto the car. Pilot, my golden retriever looking kind of bored while I'm wrenching.

View attachment 148488

Then he had to change where I had the adjuster ... ;)

View attachment 148489

He's a smartass sometimes

If only they had thumbs they could be more useful. I tell my dogs that all the time LOL.

Latest posts