Buying a car without a title?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by 93z, Jun 7, 2020.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

It wasn't until the 1950's that there was even a standard license plate size. Some still use two plates and some use just a rear.

93z likes this.
  2. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

Each state is different. Nevada is really hard. You can google title companies and there are a few out that once have a VIN search done to show it's not reported stolen, they will help you get a title. It's not cheep but can be done.

93z likes this.
  3. Rustles

Rustles New Member

It can get quite weird when transferring vehicles from state to state - even with a valid title numbers matching car I had to post a bond to get a '67 Mercedes registered in NC. Seems that Ca. (my car was registered from new there - 50 years continuously) translated the Mercedes model code (first several digits of the "VIN") to the alpha transliteration SL 230. Then the embossed VIN (which is what Merecedes says is the VIN) was used so my Ca. title (pink) had my car from new as an SL230 999999. But the VIN plate said W113230 and 999999. Now NC allows up to a 3 digit "error" and they will still title and register but mine didn't qualify since 6 digits were in error - even after I showed the "inspector" the numbers matching frame stamps and engine stampings... I had to buy/post a 3 year bond (the equivalent of title insurance) in order to get the car titled and registered..... go figure...

The lesson here is as above - all/most states are different as were VIN standards (an international VIN standard has been used only since the 80's) so you need to know the rules in both states and structure a bill-of-sale so you possibly have some legal redress. Caveat Emptor....

93z likes this.
  4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^ sounds like a car specific issue...6 digit error is a big problem. I have bought and sold Camaros was in 5 states without issues. My current Camaro did have a VIN issue with 1 digit wrong but AK fixed that for me without grief.

93z likes this.
  5. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

If you're still curious about that car, check with your DMV office about applying for a lost title or any other routes for acquiring a title. I know each state is different but I'm in TN and bought a car out of state in MS. I ran the vin and the TN application for lost title up to the DMV office and everything turned up clear and not stolen. They gave me the license plate and the title came in the mail a couple weeks later. It took some digging to even find that application but just throwing it out there. Whichever route you pursue whether it be this car or another one, best of luck to you.

93z likes this.
  6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here in CT, any car over 25 years old does not require a title. I even poked them about getting one anyway, and they said they won't issue me one. The current registration is valid. I bought this car about 6 years back from a guy that I knew. He just got it back together, and was driving it around. I used his registration to transfer it to my name. He didn't have a title either. Kind of scary, as if the last guy on the title pops up, and says "I stole his car"....not certain how that would actually play out, (Besides me burning the car to the ground before letting it go). Not certain if I let the registration run out, if I'd still be the last guy to actually "own" the car. I am reserved to the fact that if I ever sell the car, it would have to be an in-state buyer, and I'd have to educate him/her on this law as well. Also reserved to the fact that if I decide to leave CT, the car wouldn't be coming with me.

93z and [email protected] like this.
  7. Popper

Popper Veteran Member

The first question I ask - ‘Do you have a CLEAN title AND is it in your name?’ I have passed on a half dozen cars Over the last couple of years because at the end of the day I want to have the car in my name. A couple of years ago My buddy got burned to the tune of $15k buying a Vette with just a bill of sale. I don’t know All of the specifics however He went to title the car Or get a bonded title and ultimately had to give the car back to the titled owner. The seller gave him a good story and my buddy bought It hook, line and sinker. He had the bill of sale (Very formal looking Doc), receipts, additional paperwork, info of the selling party... thought he had his bases covered. He learned a $15k lesson! It was gonna cost him a good chunk of money in lawyer fees with no guaranteed outcome If he would get his $15k from the seller so he cut his losses.

93z likes this.
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Too many nice cars out there to mess with one without a title or at-least being registered under the sellers name. Cars that old in some states don’t issue titles, but that doesn’t mean a previous or actual owner doesn’t have one....nothing like trying to get a title for a car only for the owner with an original title in hand saying “that’s my car”. I’m so glad my car has a title and safely stored.

I honestly don’t understand the concept of states not having titles for old cars. If a vehicle is to be registered on the street, proof of ownership must be required ie title...

93z likes this.
  9. jimmyo258

jimmyo258 New Member

I live in Jersey, I purchased a car several years back from someone in New Hampshire. The seller told me he did not have a title because his state uses a "transferable registration". I contacted NJ DMV and was sent a form to have the seller fill out and sign along with a notarized statement. The seller had no problem with doing that so I emailed it to him so he would have it all ready when I drove there. I brought the paperwork to DMV and was issued a title, don't remember if it was issued at that moment or if I had to wait to receive it in the mail, but I did get one. Like the old saying goes, buyer beware, cover all your bases..
    IMG_2035.jpg

93z likes this.
  10. Mike Sinkoski

Mike Sinkoski New Member

States that do not require titles on older cars (usually prior to 1984) require that car to be sold, be registered in the seller’s name on the bill of sale just to transfer the registration to a new owner within that state, when going across states, it gets much more convoluted and at minimum for states requiring titles, there will be a title waiver that must be purchased from the previous states dmv to acknowledge ownership thru that registration. These states will not issue or re-issue a title so registration tied to the seller is a must.

93z likes this.