C4 corvette worth

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
C4s chassis had a problem, in that most of the design work was done expecting all C4s to be hard tops, or maybe T-tops, but a year or so before production marketing proclaimed they all had to be targa tops. Which lowered the characteristic frequency of the chassis below the desirable 40 Hz point. So they flex more than they should.

The Corvette team was determined to not get caught off guard like that again, and designed the C5 chassis as if they would all be convertibles.

At least that's what Chief Engineer Dave McLellan wrote in "Corvette From The Inside".

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
47599653d1161499377-downside-of-removing-convertible-cross-brace-1990-corvette-under-2.jpg
There's an underbrace the factory put on the Convertible cars which fits Targa's and fixes a lot of that

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
If you like those body styles , nothing designs, it's your gig, then maybe it's deal, sounds like it's ready to enjoy as is. I just never cared for any vette looks after C3

ls777z

Veteran Member
Feb 19, 2000
Clay,NY
I would have to agree that its a little high. If it was completely stock, that's what brings the $$$, then its not too far off. But the chrome, glass etching and pinstriping are going to knock the price down in the long run.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
47599653d1161499377-downside-of-removing-convertible-cross-brace-1990-corvette-under-2.jpg
There's an underbrace the factory put on the Convertible cars which fits Targa's and fixes a lot of that

You know, as I was writing that, I was thinking it seems like someone would have come up with a way to stiffen the chassis by now, although I was thinking aftermarket.

One thing I always thought was cool about the C4s, was the way most of the front tilted up, for working on them.

slayer74

Veteran Member
Jan 10, 2014
yonkers new york
anyone on here ever owned a later c4? thinking of maybe getting one in the spring and don't a whole ton about these cars and would like a few pointers on what to look out for and what to stay away from-any info is greatly appreciated thanks

Latest posts