C5 swap? Way to go?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by OldSchoolFormula, Nov 20, 2021.

1. OldSchoolFormula

OldSchoolFormula Veteran Member

Well, after nearly a decade from regularly driving the car, digging back into it again. It feels so out of date now with a lowly LS1, 4th gen seats, junkyard brakes, haha.

Anyway, changing the front spring rate/height(apparently that’s not done much anymore, either - coil overs for everyone!) and noticed I’m due for some brake pads. Car has a 1LE upgrade done with the s10/blazer rear brakes. Since I have the spindles popped, looking at maybe a brake upgrade. I see CPP has a “c5” kit that’s not actually C5, and a bunch of scattered info on C6 rotors, C7 hubs, Kore3, etc etc. I don’t have any plans to race the car, but I do like to drive it semi aggressively, so what’s the “setup” to go with now? I want it to *work* and I’ve seen differing opinions on the C5 setup being underwhelming.

or do I just keep the 1LE setup and throw on some new pads? Recommendations? EBC Yellows, Hawk HPS, Stoptech?

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

IMHO, CPP cheap Chinese-clone garbage Kore3 is much higher quality stuff (and who CPP probably copied).
    CustomWorks also makes a C5 conversion http://customworksperformance.net/brakes.html

Big questions:
    What are the goals with a brake upgrade? Is this a streetcar and you are looking for more 'cool'? Or is this going to see racetrack duty? In general - I really like Hawk HPS pads on a street car.

What size are your wheels? A lot of the most larger than 1LE brake upgrades will require larger wheels to clear the calipers.

3. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I've used Kore3 C5 stuff a few times on my projects and its top notch. On my current 80 Camaro project I used C5 front hubs, hoses and brackets from Custom Works. They installed and look to be great. Kore3 hubs are aluminum while the Custom Works hubs are steel. So 13" front rotors and 12" 2002 fbody rear rotors have worked well for me. 13" front rotors are about the most you can fit inside 18" wheels.
    The C5 brakes have tons of different pads for what ever is your driving style. Also the the C5 stuff can be bought at any parts store if you have a failure. Same with the fbody stuff. On my 68 C10 project I bought a C5 kit with 13" rotors. The C10 had 20" wheels and the 13" rotors looked a little small so I remade the caliper brackets to fit 14" Zo6 rotors. Worked great. Swept area was the same. See pic.

Attached Files:

Lowend likes this.
  4. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

5. OldSchoolFormula

It’s just a street car - at this point it’d be cheaper and far less emotionally painful to wad up my C7 than the 2nd gen if I was to ever track a car. Mostly just looking for a little “bling” I guess - the wheels are 18’s so the 1LE rotor and the “ugly” stock caliper look a little out of place I guess. Have thought about just going to the Wilwood D52 caliper in black to clean the looks up a little. I guess at the time when I first built the car it was to keep up with what was at the time, the last of the 4th gens and the then current Mustangs in performance and capability - seems maybe not worth the effort to do so now with current Camaro/Mustang offerings without spending some ridiculously serious coin, and even then I’m not so sure it’s realistic in what’s approaching a 50 year old car. Guess I’m a bit “lost” in what I overall want the car to be….

6. OldSchoolFormula

With the C5 stuff, what are you guys running for master cylinder/booster combinations? It’s been a long time but I believe the current master on the car is a late C3 Corvette disc/disc master and it works quite well with the stock caliper/S10 rears.

7. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I'm running a C5 booster and a 2002 Camaro master. For the booster to mount up I used a DSE mounting bracket. Wilwood adjustable prop valve.
    I would give the C3 master a try before replacing it.