California member check in/ rampant fires

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by rscamaro73, Oct 27, 2019.

1. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

If you're a California member and anywhere near the fires out there (and I just heard a new one has started)..... let us know you're safe, or had to evacuate or whatever.

This is one of the worst fires due to size and location and outlook.

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I live in the High Desert region of Socal near the North slope of the Big Bear mtns . We're under Red Flag conditions and High Wind warnings over the next few days

Norcal is being devastated by huge fires right now and the strong winds are relentless fueling these massive Firestorms

rscamaro73 likes this.
  3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

In September 2016, I was heading out to Alaska. The plan was to fly directly from Orlando to Fairbanks with a group of folks. Never one to "follow the plans" my first destination was San Francisco. Always wanted to ride on a cable car, check out Lombard Street, go to Pier 39, the Golden Gate and so on. Hit 3 National Parks, find some of those big trees and then reach my ultimate goal - drive on the PCH. I've seen so many pictures I just had to do it!

After the Park visits, off to the PCH. We were staying in Fresno at the time. I think we drove to Harmony and then north on PCH. As I was approaching Big Sur, my bro saw this massive cloud in the distance. He asked me what it was? I didn't have a clue. As we got closer, I saw a couple fire trucks, then military trucks. I put it together and thought it was a wild fire. How true. It was shocking! What you see on TV has no comparison to the "real thing." How overwhelming!

Today, prayers out to everyone, the teams fighting the fires, families, home owners, yes, even the animals. Its so horrendous to see - I can't even imagine coping with an issue like this.

rscamaro73 and muscl car like this.
  4. muscl car

I forgot to mention but last week not more than 2 miles from where I used to live in San Bernardino there was two large fires . The first one was on Little Mtn and it destroyed 5 houses

The other fire was near Waterman Canyon and that fire destroyed property and homes . When I lived there from 2007 until brush fires 2016 there was many large brush fires that go a little to close to me .I think the latest in the year we had brush fires was late into November

rscamaro73 likes this.
  5. muscl car

New fire broke out in Socal called the Getty Fire and now at 500 plus acres . Located on the 405 fwy in the Sepulveda Pass with multiple houses lost . Fire was first reported at 0230hrs this morning

rscamaro73 likes this.
  6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The bay area is safe, but we're getting smoke drift from Geyserville

The Vallejo Fire looked really dramatic but wasn't that big of a deal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    80sz, rscamaro73 and muscl car like this.
  7. muscl car

Multiple fires have started today in Socal due the fierce Santa Ana's . Wind gusts measured at over 70mph in some areas

The Easy Fire in the Simi Valley area that has threatened the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and surrounding areas of Simi Valley currently at 1300 acres and no containment

Also the Hill fire in Riverside Calif in the community of Jurupa Valley 0 containment at 100 acres and growing

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It is sad to see the damage the fires cause, but this is a normal Autumn for California. The Santa Ana winds and the dry desert were there doing this thousands of years before people started building houses there. It just shows us that we have no control over the climate and what it does.
    The good news is that as the season changes, the fires stop like every previous year.

1972_Z-28 and BigBlock73 like this.
  9. muscl car

They're blaming all the fires from High Voltage power lines !!!

The new norm for California residents is dealing with PG&E , SCE and SDG&E power company planned outages during high wind events . Alot of residents are buying generators to keep their power on . Power company officials saying this could be 10-20 years until a solution is found to keep high voltage lines from arcing during high wind events

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, the fires are caused by high voltage power lines, but if people didn't build houses in those remote places and want power lines run to them, the problem would be much less. Consumers don't want to pay what it would cost to remove enough trees and brush to make those power lines safer from damage in high winds. If he power companies would double their electric rates and put that money into improving infrastructure, the problem could be lessened greatly in a few years. Nobody wants that. The consumer doesn't want to pay. The power company doesn't want to have to do all that work, and the biggest group not wanting it would be your monopoly of environmentalists who don't want trees removed from near power lines.
    So, with nobody wanting to participate in a real solution, you have to expect fires and power outages. You can get generators, but a small generator pollutes more than a new car. So the generator pollution added to the pollution from the fires should make the environmentalists rabid.

1972_Z-28 and The Champ like this.